Omron NJ ..simple tutorial?

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi..Is there a Pdf tutorial for programming the Ommron NJ CPU and NA HMI, perhaps to run a Omnuc G5 servo? Is there any manual related to Sysmac Studio.. on YouTube? or anywhere in a printed form? Which could help a new programmer to understand visually, a simple programming process of the NJ and or the NA HMI.

It seems like everything out there is written for those that already know how to do it. I'm talking about a "tutorial"... which is quite different from reading a manual on theory of operation. A Tutorial talks about procedures, and steps in the programming process .. it doesn't have to explain why a step is done, that's left for the student to figure out. It just shows all the steps.

Has Omron ever provided anything like that?

Thanks, Regards, Michael

Dear Garry
Thanks much for the Pdf files.. The one on the NA HMI was awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.. The "NJ Best practices" I have read.. and found it helpful, but it kinda depends on previous knowledge with Omron, CX Designer, CJ I/O's .. etc. I did find useful "tutorial" like info in the Omron "educational" site: https://industrial.omron.us/en/services-and-support/trainings/elearning

..under: C030 - NJ Operation Machine Control

As for the third Pdf file..Microsoft SOL connect. This is way over my paygrade.. :) But, thanks for the information.. and the YouTube link.

By the way...There's a lot of YouTube Omron links out there .. but... very few are tutorials for beginners .. well, I don't mean absolute beginners... I mean people with no experience with Omron NJ .. and the motion control features of the NJ... This thing is not a PLC ... I'm thinking it's a very sophisticated computer that should be able to create motions "on the fly" as it were .. not just call up "pick and place" position coordinates for simple trapezoidal moves. Unless I'm totally misinformed.

Actually, I want to look into using the NJ to control LinMot Linear Motors.

In the past, I have used Siemens S7 1200 series to manage LinMot's Command table.. But, there was no easy way to generate complex arithmetical moves. Then I tried Delta's Motion Controllers, managed by Red Lion's G3 series, with great success. Now, I'm wondering if Omron can do at least as well, with the NJ CPU and NA HMI....

Regards, Michael

Last edited:
I do not do motion jobs but I have been told by Omron the NJ was designed for that along with the use of EtherCat.

Hi Bob ..Yes, the main protocol for the Nj is EtherCAT.. but it can also work with LinMot on it's Ethernet/IP line.. but, I suspect with only limited functionality as far as creating complex curves on the fly.

Will be researching that.. good questions for Omron NJ experts.. :)