Graphite Control Platform...

padees

... Anyone get the email today?

I've been using Graphite panels since they were released. Use a few K2's as well.

I kinda figured they were going this direction with the Graphite, and they have the rack I/O now, plus the E3 stuff. Kinda neat!

I got unofficial pricing today and the plug in control module is quite reasonable. Have a few quarters overflowing my piggy bank, so I'm gonna get one to play with.

Any opinions on the new hardware?

I got the email. It's about time. Not all that excited though, I don't want IEC languages, I like their script language.

I got the email. It's about time. Not all that excited though, I don't want IEC languages, I like their script language.

I would expect that you could certainly continue to access the I/O with the normal scripting method. I am downloading the latest build now to have a look at what is new as far as editors.

I would definitely want to be able to use ladder and maybe function block programming and the editor(s) will have to be very good. I am not sure I will have an application that suits this hardware but if I were to ever put an HMI in control of the logic of a process, it would be a Red Lion.

Anyone use Horner APG or Unitronics that could give some insight? Those are PLC+HMI combos.

I was curious what the PLC shock & vibrations would be when mounted on the Graphite; 40G and 4G. Yikes that's good.

I am not a big fan of the HMI+PLC combo units, as the HMIs tend to get damaged often (3-5 years). But with the Graphite you could have spare HMIs and just remove the PLC and put it onto the new HMI. Saves some cost and less hassle with the PLC code (? not sure).

Probably the best thing is the Crimson HMI editor; those other HMI+PLC combo units are a bit .... basic on the HMI editors. Just my experience.

Far too much wiring to the doors for mine. Prefer to rum a serial or Ethernet cable to the screen from the PLC. The other issue I see is only 8 bit cards - I use 32/64 bit cards mostly these days with plug in cables - saves me a lot of time.

This new Graphite module they're advertising does allow Crimson to control a module with an extendable backplane that can have it's own controller with virtual HMI (I assume it's like the DataStation browser based method), or you can connect it to your HMI and have the I/O on the backplane.

As someone else said and I agree: I would have to be real hard up for a few points of hardwired I/O in order to wire them to the back of the HMI. Maybe if the HMI was on the door with a couple of buttons and I had no need for a full blown PLC in a non critical application, I would consider it.

I had about 15 tired minutes late last night to fiddle with the editor. I didn't get very far before deciding I will need a clear mind and probably some reading of the help files to figure out how to really use it. If the PLC logic editor is as good as the graphics editor has been then I may pursue it further.

Far too much wiring to the doors for mine. Prefer to rum a serial or Ethernet cable to the screen from the PLC. The other issue I see is only 8 bit cards - I use 32/64 bit cards mostly these days with plug in cables - saves me a lot of time.

I agree, expansion modules can get very busy on the HMI...

If one is to stick with Red Lion, that's where this comes in: http://www.redlion.net/products/industrial-automation/controllers-and-data-acquisition/io-modules

Just wish Red Lion was a tad cheaper...

I've used a few of the I/O modules on the Graphite panels and they work really nice.

Of course, the devices were really close to the HMI enclosure. PLC was a good 40' away, so it worked well. You have to evaluate the situation...

I downloaded the new Crimson software yesterday. Installed it today to play with. Me thinks improvements are much needed in the control stuff.