National Instruments experience?

spaderkung

Hello,

I'm tasked with a quotation for programming National Instruments PLC NI9068. I have no experience of that particular system and would appreciate some general opinions about programming that system. I can program just about anything, but some systems are of course less nice...

From what i read it's programmed in LabView, something I more connect to "university use" than with robust programming of a large plant with several PLC.

Thanks
Jon

Well, it it not a PLC. It is an embedded controller that runs LabVIEW Real Time. Does not program like a PLC, and a pretty big learning curve. NI products are not just for university purposes. They are used in many varied industries. SpaceX uses their products for launchpad control and other purposes. The NI9068 can do many things that a PLC can't, but a PLC is a better choice for many applications also. Do you know why they want to use that?

Many of my customers us NI as the front end for data analysis on testing machines. We use NI for testing circuit boards.

My hands on experience with NI is limited but like Highland said, it isn't a PLC and takes a little adjustment to learn the new tricks because you program using graphical blocks and blocks within blocks.

For machine sequencing I would rather use a PLC or motion controller.

I use LabVIEW extensively, but have only used the real time targets a couple of times. Like Peter mentioned, my projects are mostly on testing machines that have some sort of real time controller already(motion controller or PLC). I use LabVIEW as the front end, and it is great for gathering data and making disparate devices work well together.