Cisco ccn

Mihir_007

Hi all,

We have a huge cisco CCN installed to control and monitor the whole plant. For that 23Nos., CISCO Catalyst 2960-s Series switches are installed in Ring architecture making one of the switch as a Main connected with server. On each Cisco Switch, Several Stratix 5700 switches are connected and those stratix is connected with Control Logix L-73.

Is there any way to get the ping data of all these Cisco switch in controller/SCADA? Is there any way to observe continuously thatt all the Cisco switches are online and healthy? If any cisco switch is down, Can we get the instant update using PLC pinging or anything?
Any status via any bit/Functional Block?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sure, use SNMP, several of the OPC vendors offer a plugin for it. Or you could roll your own w/ Nagios or something.

Sure, use SNMP, several of the OPC vendors offer a plugin for it. Or you could roll your own w/ Nagios or something.

Thanks dravik.
This sounds interesting but can you please elaborate or direct me to any link as this stuff is completely new for me and i do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Hi..
I read about nagios and SNMP on internet. This stuff is cool but how to co-relate this with factory talk view SE or studio 5000.?

So, SNMP is just a platform agnostic way of talking to network gear.

You can use this to gather information from your switches,routers, etc.
If you use a OPC server that has a SNMP plugin, you can configure it to pull this information in as 'tags' that you can reference from your SCADA system.
Now, if you wanted to get the data directly into the PLC, that's a bit trickier.
The Stratix switches can be directly spoken to via the PLC though.

One example softwarehttps://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/kepserverex/advanced-plug-ins/snmp-agent/ , You would set this up to talk to the switches, then configure View SE to talk to the Kepserver(via OPC).

Last edited:
Thanks a Lot Dravik

So, SNMP is just a platform agnostic way of talking to network gear.

You can use this to gather information from your switches,routers, etc.
If you use a OPC server that has a SNMP plugin, you can configure it to pull this information in as 'tags' that you can reference from your SCADA system.
Now, if you wanted to get the data directly into the PLC, that's a bit trickier.
The Stratix switches can be directly spoken to via the PLC though.

One example softwarehttps://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/kepserverex/advanced-plug-ins/snmp-agent/ , You would set this up to talk to the switches, then configure View SE to talk to the Kepserver(via OPC).

Bingo. 🍻
Your suggestions andd link worked Dravik. I did what I was looking for. Thanks a Lot and yes You are genius.👨🏻‍🏫