How to increase STRING Length in Siemens program???

pjadha

Hello Guys,
I have old Siemens program. In that DB952 is used for 2D barcode scanner data. Previously Barcode was only 10 letters but as per Customer requirement new Barcode is 12 letters. Now if we scan new Barcode with existing program it gives #####error on HMI. When I checked it I found in PLC program in DB952 STRING for barcode scanner data is defined as [10]. So now I want to increase that STRING Length so that I can scan my new Barcode with 12 letters without any error.
Please help me.....
Please see attached picture of my DB952 where STRING is declared.

STRING.jpg

Hello Guys,
I have old Siemens program. In that DB952 is used for 2D barcode scanner data. Previously Barcode was only 10 letters but as per Customer requirement new Barcode is 12 letters. Now if we scan new Barcode with existing program it gives #####error on HMI. When I checked it I found in PLC program in DB952 STRING for barcode scanner data is defined as [10]. So now I want to increase that STRING Length so that I can scan my new Barcode with 12 letters without any error.
Please help me.....
Please see attached picture of my DB952 where STRING is declared.

You change the [10[ to [12]. You'll also need to change the field length on the HMI, so it displays correctly.

You change the [10[ to [12]. You'll also need to change the field length on the HMI, so it displays correctly.
Hey mk42 Thank you very much.....It works.....
How much STRING Length we can define in DB field???

Hey mk42 Thank you very much.....It works.....
How much STRING Length we can define in DB field???

For an S7-300, I think the maximum is 255 chars. If you just declare a STRING with no defined length, it uses this maximum.