Tcp-232

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to set up a USR-TCP232-200 Ethernet Converter
I downloaded the software an look like I am able to configure the IP
My question is in a 1766 (1400) channel 0 or 2 DF1 full duplex
My converter is asking for Baud- Parity,Data & Stop Bit (1 or 2)
In rs logix I can set Baud and Parity But don't see Data and Stop Bit
I have handshake & error detection
Any thoughts, Anybody set one of these up before they are cheap and a friend gave me one to play with(like giving someone a rubic's cube)

In general the MicroLogix controller default is 8 data bits, no Parity bit, and 1 stop bit.

The MicroLogix does let you adjust for Even or No Parity, or for 1, 1.5, or 2 Stop bits. But it's always 8 data bits, and "8/None/1" is by far the most common serial framing for any serial port device, A-B or otherwise.

I am testing with a 1400 I thought the DB9 Connection is channel 2 since I know channel 1 is ethernet and channel 0 has data sent /received I am online with linx. Nothing happening on channel 2
My converter seems to be active on the ethernet side I see thr lights flickering and I can ping it ok.
I am trying to figure if I have a setting wrong in the setup software or weather or not this module is even compatible.

You're correct on the Channel numbering on the MicroLogix 1400 controller:

Channel 0 is the 8-pin round serial connector
Channel 1 is the Ethernet port
Channel 2 is the DB9 serial connector

I'll try to explain it simply: Data Highway 485 is an A-B proprietary protocol that can run on two different kinds of physical wiring. One is a 3-wire isolated multipoint RS-485 network, and the other is ordinary RS-232 point-to-point connections.

DH-485, no matter what physical wiring it runs on, has very tight timing requirements and it is very uncommon to run it over any sort of general-purpose signal converter. WiFi, USB, Ethernet... unless they're purpose-built to do DH-485 (like the 1747-UIC) then they won't work with DH-485 protocol.

For connection to this Ethernet converter, you want to use DF1 Full Duplex over RS-232. That protocol is far more tolerant of timing and buffering and delays.

A general-purpose RS-232 to Ethernet device like this works by implementing a 'virtual serial port' over a TCP/IP network.

To your client software, the device looks like "COM12". But their software utility intercepts operating system calls to COM12, and transports them over TCP/IP to the device, which implements them on the device's serial port.

General purpose devices like this do not convert between the A-B Ethernet protocols and DF1 like the 1761-NET-ENI does.

You will use the Serial drivers in RSLinx Classic to communicate via this device, not the Ethernet drivers.

Thanks again for the info. I also believe I need the crossover cable I am using a straight through. I don't have a gender bender here for the 1747cp3

I read that device's user manual. It should come with a couple of aspirin.

I can't tell from that manual which type of RS-232 port it has, DCE or DTE. My guess is that it's a "DCE" type, so you would use a straight-through serial cable to connect it to the DTE type port on the MicroLogix or on a typical computer.

I think I'll give up on this for now and try and figure out my Digi One unit. Thanks

I read that device's user manual. It should come with a couple of aspirin.

I can't tell from that manual which type of RS-232 port it has, DCE or DTE. My guess is that it's a "DCE" type, so you would use a straight-through serial cable to connect it to the DTE type port on the MicroLogix or on a typical computer.

Yeah, it is a DCE device.
And wow, that manual is a piece of work.