RS232 -DF1 over TCP/IP

todster

Has anyone tried DF1 with the RS232 to TCP servers? RS232 to TCP WIFI servers? Curious if anyone has had any luck. I'm thinking of trying it with an SLC 5/04 with RSlinx Gateway version. There are boards from Mousers.com for about $30 each.
I have a 5/04 that will be pulling 8 temp readings, 1 humidity reading and 3 analog values from a pic style board. I actually have 3 of these boards and will use them all on the same wire for a serial style communication with a device ID for each. The values will be sent from 1 TTL out on each board to a TTL input on the 5/04.
I would like to be able to program the 5/04 over the RS232 to tcp and also communicate between a HAKKO 606 touch panel and the 5/04 via the same style interface. The HAKKO will then display the data polled from the mini board. I realize I could just buy an analog card for the 5/04 or the 1794 rack but where's the fun in that?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by your post. Maybe if we separate out the issues.

It sounds to me like you want to use a general-purpose RS-232 to Ethernet interface to connect two clients to the SLC-5/04 serial port: RSLinx Classic and a HAKKO touchscreen.

The temperature/humidity/analog device is connected to the SLC-5/04 not over a serial interface but via discrete TTL I/O modules.

I have never seen anyone attempt a "bit banging" interface via I/O modules on an SLC. I would tend to discourage it, but you're welcome to give it a shot.

The problem with using multiple serial to Ethernet interfaces is that unless they are "aware" of the DF1 protocol's destination address byte, they won't know which IP address to return each reply packet from the SLC-5/04 to.

The Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-ENI is designed to do what you're describing, and I've heard of success with the Digi One IAP. These devices are specifically built to work with industrial protocols, which puts them in a different class than port redirectors or low-level protocol converters.

I'm curious as to how well the DF1 will work like this and if anyone had tried it. The modules for the 5/04 and Hakko would be dedicated except when I need to make changes to the 5/04 or the Hakko. The -eni would be great but $60 versus $300+ does have it's appeal especially if I can get the WIFI modules.
The bit banging is because the control boards only have a nic interface. The protocol is basic and limited and will not interact with anything else. Or at least I haven't seen where they could. It's just a little fun project to help pass the winter blues when I'm not out riding the trails.
So what I want to end up with is the 5/04 in its cabinet out of sight. The Hakko in the kitchen so the wife can control the HVAC, lights and more importantly, monitor the venison bologna in the smoker out in the pole barn while I'm out riding. And most importantly not having to pull serial cable thru the house.