Microphone wire scheme

Serhioromano

I am sorry it is not directly PLC question but I know a lot of professionals here and I need it for one of my projects which actualy includes PLC. I am not electronix guy.

I have old Sure WL 185 condenser microphone. Before i used it to record audio directly to camera or wireless system. Now all my cameras are action cameras. there is no 3.5mm jack. I want to record directly to iPhone. I tested and mic does not work even through adapter that work with other cheap china mics.

I've created a topic

http://electronics.stackexchange.co...do-i-wire-a-shure-wl-185-to-to-iphone-or-ipad

And someone told me it should work. But also I sent email to Sure tech support. And they replay

Hello,

sorry but the mic is made to work on a mixing desk or a wireless System. These devices provide Phantom Power (48V@Mixing Desk / 5V@Wireless System).
Because a smartphone only Provides 2,7 Volts I don't think that it will work.
Also there is no Adapter for this application on the market.

If you want to try it, here some help without guarantee that it will work or
We do have a mic for this application, the Shure MVL Mic. In its userguide you could find the pinout of the Mic:
https://www.shure.de/productdocuments/products/microphones/mvl/mvluserguide
The Pinout for the WL185 is here:
https://www.shure.de/productdocuments/products/microphones/mx183/mx183-mx184-mx185userguide

Pinout of a regulat Smartphone is:
Tip: Headphone L
Ring1: Headphone R
Ring2: ground
Sleeve: BIAS Power and audio signal of the Mic

I also found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5560867/how-to-get-electric-power-from-head-phone-jack

Best regards

So as I understand I need to provide additional power to microphone. Although I might simply change resistor or take it out at all. As I've said I am no electronix guy I am more PLC programmer. Could you help me to calculate resistor or draw scheme with which this mic might work directly with iPhone?

Woo, for once I can be the pro and provide info!

The WL185 is a condenser lav mic. As it is a condenser, it requires +48v phantom power. There are a few ways to go about this, but for you, since you want to use it with an iPhone, the easiest would be to look at a SmartRig made by Saramonic.

Past that, you have to contend with the TA4F connector on the WL185 and convert it to XLR. The only way I know to do this is with a Shure RPM626, *but* that is not just an adapter, but a preamp as well, which won't work as it will overload the input on the iPhone.

Not to say it can't be done, but it's a very Rube Goldberg approach. You're going to be much better off buying a dynamic mic (thus not needing phantom power) or a purpose built (IE, iPhone specific) condenser setup. Shure, Samson, Audio Technica, Zoom, etc all make condenser setups specifically for iPhones that are $50-$150. You would have that in the RPM626 adapter alone.

This is what I was afraid to hear. My $100 mic goes to trashcan. because it is really much cheaper to get mobile phone (iPhone, Android) specific condenser mic. Looks like I'll go this way. I have already found Aperture A.Lav mic that looks like what I need. No only it can work with phones, but also with some additional power it can work directly to the camera.