Compact Logix digital inputs.

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning to all

Working on a new project and have a few questions.
But first 1769 L30ER, Studio 5K v29, 1769-IQ16 input.

We have a two channel HSC card in the system for an encoder (1800 PPR )
As you all know the HSC are a pretty penny.

We are engineering in five more encoder type linear actuators with digital pulse feedback, but the PPR is six and makes one revolution in 1.5 sec.
A IQ16 is a quarter the cost of a HSC.

1st is this possible, 2nd would you recommend this, 3rd, if so, is the IQ16 the best choice.

All feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

At 6 ppr and 1 rev. in 1.5 secs, yes, a digital input card will work admirably.

I would place the code that inspects/counts/services the pulse inputs in a periodic task, to be certain that all on's and off's are "seen".

Mr. daba Sir

Seems the engineers have changed the actuator type

The new model will extend ( loaded ) at a rate of 2.28 inches per second, one pulse every .0109 inches, and if the math is correct that's 209 pulses per second.

If i read the data right the unit is capable of switching on to off every .008 seconds

Will the A IQ16 still handle that kind of volume.

Since the new functional specifications require a 4ms switching detection capability the 1769-IQ16 will not perform as intended.
You might want to consider the 1769-IQ16F (High-Speed Input) which is well within your requirements: Off-On Delay = 0.1ms Typical (0.3ms Max) and Off-On Delay = 0.25ms Typical (1ms Max).
As stated above, the logic related to the examination of the High-Speed Inputs' states will need to be implemented within a Periodic Task scheduled every 4ms or less.
Page 39 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1769-td006_-en-p.pdf