Controlling ABB Drive using Ethernet and RSLogix

coasterbp

So I have an ABB ACS880 drive with a built in ethernet module, the FENA011.

I'm using a Controllogix processor to control it via the ethernet port.

I've downloaded the EDS files and when I go to set up the communication, I can select several different assembly instances. For my application, I decided that Instance 21/71 should be fine for me as all I need to do is start/stop, direction and speed control. According to the FENA011 manual, that should be 4 bytes in and 4 bytes out. But when profile is selected in RSLogix, it supplies 4 integers in and 4 integers out, with no option to drop the size to byte.

Am I missing something here?

FENA011.JPG RSLogix.JPG RSLogix2.jpg

I've not used this setup before, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

I'd say that you'd probably just set it up to get one DINT (32 bits) instead of four bytes (4*8=32 bits).

Then you'd have to split it out into the respective data in the PLC.

Thanks for your help.

The problem lies in that RSLogix will automatically change the amount of data based on what you input as the format of the data, so when I change the data format to DINT, it automatically updates it to 2 in and 2 out.

I just connected an ACH550 with the RETA-01. I assume it's similar. I used the AOI instead of the EDS. I used 4 word in/out. The first word is the control word, each bit in that word can be used for start/stop etc. The second word is an integer used for speed reference. Third and fourth you can assign a parameter of your choosing to.

I just connected an ACH550 with the RETA-01. I assume it's similar. I used the AOI instead of the EDS. I used 4 word in/out. The first word is the control word, each bit in that word can be used for start/stop etc. The second word is an integer used for speed reference. Third and fourth you can assign a parameter of your choosing to.

Thanks,

I see that as an option, even though I'm using the FENA adapter with this drive. I figured since they had an EDS already for it, it would be simpler. Guess I was wrong.

Thank you!