slc500 fault, Ladderprogram disappeared

Mathias

Can anybody tell me what happened??

In the middle of production the AB-SLC-5/05 lost it’s Ethernet communication to the 2 computers running RSview and the controlpanel,
i used pcanywhere to call in at the main computer to troubleshoot but couldn’t connect to the SLC, didn’t see it on RSlinx,
I had them restart the SLC, now I could see the slc, but the program seemed to be missing, on one of my attempts to start it up it gave an error “0001h” saying that the program was missing and that I had to re-download it,
I did and everything seems to be working fine again, I am only worried if this happens again during a more sensitive phase of production …

Anybody any idea what happened???

Thanks in advance,
Mathias

I've had this happen on 5/03s when the power supply got shorted/overloaded. I've also had it happen when an isolated link coupler got hooked up wrong.

Mathias,
the SLC may clear its own memory if it detects that it has been corrupted. This can in turn be caused by power glitches, lightning strike or the likes.

Don't you have an EPROM in the SLC ?
If you had an EPROM and you have set the bit S:1/10 (Load memory module on memory error), then the SLC could have continued after loading the program off the EPROM.

so i would be able to prevent this error by placing a filter?

thanks for the replies,

Mathias

JesperMP said:
Mathias,
the SLC may clear its own memory if it detects that it has been corrupted. This can in turn be caused by power glitches, lightning strike or the likes.

I'd agreed with JesperMP, I had this same problem last week with a SLC 5/04. Testing new radio modem for the weekend, come back in Monday and fault light blinking. Program lost. Concluded that we had a power glitch.

It will work, but a lot of the systems I have worked on there are recipes stored in the SLC. There is no way to update the EEPROM without going on line with the processor from RSLogix. Also, there is usually some logic to track production which will be over written when the EEPROM is loaded on a fault. This could cause major problems. Therefore we usually prefer someone onsite to reload the program. Also feeding the SLC power supply from a constant voltage transformer from SOLA solves the largest majority of our problems.

On simpler systems I have worked with we use the EEPROMS & they work as intended.

Darren