DL 405 Software

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an older DL 405 (circa 1998) with some modules that's been stored in my closet for about that long. My 12 year old has recently started expressing interest in what I do in my company, and wants to learn programming, so I thought I might drag it out and set it up with a test board of some toggle switches and lights. I haven't messed with DL since the 90's, so what is available for programming them nowadays? The free-er the better, but nothing illegal. I googled and found some integrator sites with free downloads of version 5. I see version 6 for $350+ on DL's website. But what exactly will work...doesn't need to be the latest/greatest, just something to get him interested. Besides, he'll be running it on his older Vista laptop.

http://support.automationdirect.com/demos.html#ds5

DirectSOFT100 gives you the same features as the full version of DirectSOFT6 but allows only 100 Words of ladder code to be downloaded to the PLC. Programs DL05/06/105/205/305/405 systems. (Order programming cable separately.) A keycode is not required to install DirectSOFT100.

When you install DirectSOFT6 without the keycode it will install this package. (Free)

Regards,

http://support.automationdirect.com/demos.html#ds5

DirectSOFT100 gives you the same features as the full version of DirectSOFT6 but allows only 100 Words of ladder code to be downloaded to the PLC. Programs DL05/06/105/205/305/405 systems. (Order programming cable separately.) A keycode is not required to install DirectSOFT100.

When you install DirectSOFT6 without the keycode it will install this package. (Free)

Regards,

Thanks! How is a "word" counted? Is that 2 bytes of memory whether ladder or data? For example a single rung with an XIC bit and OTE bit would count how much? Trying to get a feel for what 100 words will allow.

Each contact or output will consume a word. More involved instructions will use more than one each. I would generally say 10 to 20 rungs depending on complexity. It's enough to get an idea of the format but not enough to do anything really useful.

Just download the demo and start writing. If you have the status bar enabled there is a continuous update of the words used.

Last edited:
The software for the Do-more! series of PLC's has a built in simulator and it is free. It won't work with the DL-405, but with the simulator you don't really need physical hardware. If you did decide you wanted hardware, the new BRX Do-more! PLC's start at $199.

You can get it here.

The software for the Do-more! series of PLC's has a built in simulator and it is free. It won't work with the DL-405, but with the simulator you don't really need physical hardware. If you did decide you wanted hardware, the new BRX Do-more! PLC's start at $199.

You can get it here.

Appreciate it...part of the exercise will be him wiring up the inputs/outputs.

I purchased my own copy of DS5 many moons ago. and also have other copies. every type of Programming sw I use I always try to make some sort of backup, example, the older rockwell floppy disk keys, I have several friends and we swap and trade a lot since we all like to learn and teach our self any thing that might be new, all of this is for training and like schooling our self on what is new, you can find a lot out on the web also- this is not for business, cause later I purchase what I would like to use legally. this has worked for me for many years, some may think this wrong, but this has taught me a lot about programming, because when I started , I could find no one willing to help me, so I taught my self. you can get a used plc on ebay very cheap and start with something new, I have used automation direct a long time, its works great,

I just did 6 rungs with branchs outputs, timers , counters to test it for you. 19 instructions used 24 words. 100 word should do you for free.

Automation direct also has "C-MORE micro" HMI software free and it has a simulator in it.

I just did 6 rungs with branchs outputs, timers , counters to test it for you. 19 instructions used 24 words. 100 word should do you for free.

Automation direct also has "C-MORE micro" HMI software free and it has a simulator in it.

Thanks! That's a great benchmark.

931057ac0298215951e02bb6c75289f5_5482.jpg

Since this is for your son, I have a PLC trainer you can have for free just send me a UPS number for shipping. It don't have the PLC 5 in the above picture I gave that one away already, but it does have a AB Micro logix 1000 with cables, software for it is free. Panel has 120v/24 xformer with rectifier, reversing starter, relay , solid state relay, pushbutons and switchs ( if I find that part), photo eye and more.
PM me if insteristed

931057ac0298215951e02bb6c75289f5_5482.jpg

Since this is for your son, I have a PLC trainer you can have for free just send me a UPS number for shipping. It don't have the PLC 5 in the above picture I gave that one away already, but it does have a AB Micro logix 1000 with cables, software for it is free. Panel has 120v/24 xformer with rectifier, reversing starter, relay , solid state relay, pushbutons and switchs ( if I find that part), photo eye and more.
PM me if insteristed

Wow, that's extremely generous...I will send you a PM