Wireless Remote Input

electrified3

I am currently designing a control system for a customer and they would like to have a handheld remote control to stop a process with it. Basically just looking for a small handheld device transmitter similliar to a remote for a car or alarm with a receiver with programmable relays or something of that nature that I can tie into inputs on an AB Flexlogic PLC.
Anybody done anything like this? Any ideas on manufacturers and costs would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks
Bill

Electrified, I have used Omnex Controls for remote wireless controls.
WWW.omnexcontrols.com.

They are based here in BC. The ones I have used are the multifunction spread-spectrum controls for starting and stopping conveyors on a compost processing plant.

I am very happy with the product, support is great as well.

The units I use have a 1500' range, R160, T110 are the model numbers.

Yea, Go to Home Depot and get a Gene Intele-code remote reciver and transmitter. I've got them all over the place. $50.00. Range is about 75 feet line of sight.

The only issue is the relay contact output is tied to the power supply (12volt) so you'll need an isolation relay with a 12 volt coil. Also the output is momentary only, so you'll have to set up a toggle in your PLC program to latch on and off.

They are very reliable but I still wouldnt reccomend it for any critical applications that may cause safety hazards.

gene remote.jpg

In the application I am using this for it is very much a safety item also, it needs to be very reliable. It is going into a GM test facility, so right there it has some major requirements. It is a watertest booth that floods the car with water, kind of a glorified car wash of sorts, but if deluging the vehicle with 1250 GPM. The remote is for the poor guy sitting in the car looking for leaks while this is happenning to be able to turn it off, so it will be like trying to use your garage door opener in the worst hurricane you can ever imagine. I was told of a few cases where the car tested was pretty bad and the car litterally filled with water. At that flow rate you cannot see or even breath to try to get out. So I have to be carefull what I use here. I saw some from Eagle, they look very solid, have UL and CSA approval for industrial use, but I imagine will be pricey. Anyone used anything like that before?
Thanks for the info Mike, but I think I am going to need a more reliable system than that, but can think of a few things around the house it would be nice for hehe.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Use a clapper, two beeps of the horn and the system shuts down,

Seriously you may have to have a backup if you are relying on remote control for a safety/emergency stop switch.

Brian.

I personally wouldn't even try designing a safety related control on my own. It would have to have at least these charactersistics:

1. Two paths of control of DIFFERENT type.

2. Operate ONLY if both paths are continously receiving a signal.

3. To turn on, both paths would have to have been off then both turn on within a short amount of time - 'two hand control'

In other words the system must be operating correctly on both channels for the water to spray. Any other condition shuts it down.

Much liability if not at least this livel of control.

As for the genie reciver, I've never had one fail. They seem to be highly reliable and very secure. But I cant think of ANY wireless remote that I would use to save a guy from drowning. Actually the only problem I have with the Genie, or any other remote, is the battery in the transmitter. For me that would be a major safety concern for any system with a remote..

I have been checking out these ones from Eagle a bit, seams like they come standard with Lithium batteries and have an estimated life of 5 years, they also have a remote test capability, and have battery status indicators, so battery life and reliability seams to have some safety factors built into them, hence their safety approvals. Anyone have any experience with Eagle Products?

Bernie, I totally understand your points and am quite adament in the controls I design for safety capability and reliability, I have seen enough people dismemebered in my time to know all about that, thank god, knock on wood, I haven't been liable in any of those to date, but have been involved with many safety circuit re-designs after critical injuries.

I can understand safety circuit dual chain self redundant initiation sequences in initiation of an automation sequence, but fail to comprehend why I would require that in a control to "Stop" a process. I in no way shape or form would require a 2 channel response to stop a hazardous situation! In that same train of thought I would have no restraint in providing 2 or more alternate methods of single channel methods of disabling a process.

Let me tell you all what I am currently considering. I want to find a control reliable remote transmitter that will be able to transmit through a "wall" of water, that meets all current required safety administrations as required by my customer. My current train of thought as a back up will be to string safety lines, similliar to Assembly plant conveyor stops, commonly used by the big 3 down the driver side of the vehicle so that if he does try to egress the vehicle during such test the door or himself will trip the cable thus killing or "E-Stopping" the process. Just not sure how they will feel about potentially damaging their vehicle, but under the circumstances I think they can live with that one.

So with all of that said, the main thing I am looking for here is some advice from any of you who have used remote transmitters in any smilliar types of applications, or devices that may work in such an application to check out. I am not looking for lectures in safety control design, but thanks anyway for your concern or advise.

PS, Mike I think I might go get one of those genies for the hell of it and see if it can transmit through that type of enviroment, even if it doesn't would come in handy at home, thanks for the heads up on that one.

Well I like the door trip wire thing as a backup. As far as the Genie setup goes, dont be fooled by the price, brand name, packaging, or where you buy it. So far I've installed about 10 of them in the field for all kinds of situations and never had a failure. My guess is that the oldest one is about 5 years old.

PS Sliver, I sent back to the controls engineer at GM and jokingly asked if I could use a clapper as a remote, hehe, will post when I get his response or cancellation of my contact, haha.

electrified3 said:
I can understand safety circuit dual chain self redundant initiation sequences in initiation of an automation sequence, but fail to comprehend why I would require that in a control to "Stop" a process. I in no way shape or form would require a 2 channel response to stop a hazardous situation! In that same train of thought I would have no restraint in providing 2 or more alternate methods of single channel methods of disabling a process.

I think what Bernie was suggesting was a stop on LOSS of signal. As long as the guy in the 'dunk tank' is pressing the button, the test continues (Similar a dead man's switch). The use of two is just to add redundancy in case one reciever decides to ignore the loss of signal and maintain its output.

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Clapping your hands underwater does not produce the distinctive noise a clapper responds to... ;)

Eric Nelson said:

The use of two is just to add redundancy in case one reciever decides to ignore the loss of signal and maintain its output.

So then buy two Genie remote setups and cross program the transmitters to activate the two recivers. Full Redundancy acheaved!

elevmike said:
So then buy two Genie remote setups and cross program the transmitters to activate the two recivers. Full Redundancy acheaved!

Until Ken's E7 Prowler electronic warfare jet passes overhead... utoh

beerchug

-Eric