Wireless Remote Input

Doug_P said:
Off-the-wall idea: Mount a photo eye in a suction cup (avoids the water interference problem) and stick it to the outside of the window. Mount a target reflector on the inside which can be yanked away by the quinea pig.

Dos'nt sound so off the wall to me.. (y)

As a matter of fact it would be WAY less expensive, and a LOT more reliable.

elevmike said:
As a matter of fact it would be WAY less expensive, and a LOT more reliable.
I'm sure it could be made to work. It would have to pass electrified3's safety criteria first, tho'.

I guess too, one could use a magnet and a reed switch. Even more reliable?

elevmike said:
What gives??...
For starters, I had the benefit of seeing several posts that got a cool reception.

Anyhow, I remembered from somewhere that blue-green lasers could detect submarines in the ocean. And electrified3 mentioned they use a LOT of water. So, I just figured something that would penetrate water might work. Then I thought "What if the guinea pig can't trigger the shutoff with the laser pointer?" (see five posts up) I thought the optic method seemed good and I deal with PE's every day, just that an unusual photoeye modification was needed. The magnet idea seemed closer to a real E-stop.

Actually, I have no idea how these things come to me, just lucky I guess!

In Ozz we can use crane controllers for this type of application. However, they have to be approved by Industrial Relations and be on a closed, licenced band. Public band is no good.

Doug,

Building on your Idea some.. A simple reed switch glude to the inside of a small PVC tube with a 2 wire SJO cord having off it could be attached to the outiide of a window somehow. Even with duct tape, if not a set of real good suction cups, (like the type glass installers use). A small magnet applied to the inside of the window (again with suction cups) would be the actuator.

I really like it!!

Thanks for all of the ideas guys, I have a meeting with the GM engineers on Tuesday and I will have the opportunity to bounce some of these ideas off of them there. I really like the crane remote, but first few prices back have been astronomical, would definately blow my budget. Keep the ideas coming, will let you know the results of my meeting also and the direction they lean towards.

Again, Thanks all

electrified,

I hereby officially withdraw my suggestion for the Home Depot / Genie thing and place my full backing behind Dougs Idea.

Here's a link that you can look at suction cups at: http://www.anver.com/document/company/vacuum_cups.htm?source=goog-suction-cup
In order for the whole magnet suction cup thing to work your gonna need a GOOD suction cup system. But I've got a set that you can hang from. Like these: http://www.anver.com/images/handcups/602_4!.jpg
You can find them here: http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum handcups/hndcup-manual.htm

Good luck with it..

Mike

Last edited:
I've used radios with touch tone pads to open doors, start/stop conveyors, etc. a lot cheaper then crane control. Receiver can be any radio on frequency with a tone decoder board. If something doesn't work right, operator could always switch to maintenance or security channel for help.

regards.....casey

Although I see the merits of the suction cup idea I do not believe it will be feasible in my scenario. See if this explains why.

The operator takes the test vehicle to the entrance of the test booth, who's entry doors are default open position, he drives the said vehicle into the test booth down a set of guided tracks through the entrance, down the dry off booth, approx 20' long, then into the spray booth which is also approx. 20' long. Once inside of the booth a dual channel pressure pad activates the initiation of the sequence, which closes the doors then enables the water flow valve and initiates an AB Powerflex 700 VFD PID controlled by a pressure transducer to regulate the pressure delivered to the sprayheads. This is the point where the customer has requested remote interruption to the sequence. The cycle initiates its cycle, which varies from 8-12 minutes based on the vehicle, and when completes, shuts down the VFD. When the vehicle is detected leaving the pressure pad initiates a series of 25 HP blow off motors to dry the vehicle off, when the vehicle is assumed through the dry off sequence a photo-eye is broken which shuts down the drives and begins the initiation of the door open sequence for vehicle removal.

So this is the dilemma I am in for a hard wired solution, not only is it a test to determine vehicle seals and the like it is also performed in a test booth that is approx 40-50'ft in length and is auto started. Plus it is not what was requested by the customer.

Now in all fairness I like the methodology of the method you are suggesting, the practicality of it leads me right back to the remote wireless functionality.

Now in reality, with the pressure pad initiation required, which is dual chain, self redundant, through a safety relay, if the driver backs the vehicle up a few inchs the process will also terminate, the remote is just a "cleaner method" to stop the test. Now if I use a 4 channel remote device, now I can have him just press the button to stop the sequence, and if he so chooses to resume the cycle, depending on the remote device used and channels available, this is now possible. I already have a hard wired method involved, just gives additional options with the remote capability, and the current technology should easily accomodate this without the hardships of hard wiring complications.

So under the circumstances I am still sticking to the remote function, and that is what the customer is asking for, and you know how that goes, the customer is always right, except for when he is wrong, haha, but he is still right if ya know what I mean.

So with all of the hard wired suggestions, thanks but I am sticking to the remote capability, as to my customer request. This is not being offered as conditional, it is a requirement so that is what I need to stick to.

Hey Casey,
In referencing the surfers are you talking about the nutts on the windsurfers under the bridges??? Those guys are CRAZY!!!! I used to SCUBA dive down there and the currents are Beyond Belief!!! We would use guide cables strung to the shipwrecks down there, we would dive down, grab them and pull our way down to 50-60' to the wrecks. It is hilarious to look over at your dive buddy and it looks like something out of a cartoon with him flapping in the current like a cartoon character holding a clothesline in the wind of a tornado!! Just don't tilt your head back in the current with your dive mask on, it will rip it right off your head it is so strong.
As a note, the machine that did the tunnel under the St Clair river is very similiar to the one that did the Chunnel between England and France, made by the same company actually. GPS and laser guided, one started on one side and another on the other side and intersected within inchs of each other in the middle. AWESOME machine to bore down through rock with one end and have an entire robotic placement system on the backside of it to place all of the pre-fab cement pieces to seal and stabalize it. It actually used the pre fab placement equipment to support and hold it as the bore end of it pushed forward. Spent alot of time down there when they were building that one, was in college back then, it was definately something to see.
If you ever pass through the area again you will have to look me up and check out the sights a bit.
Bill

Mike,
Where you at in the Detroit area? My brother lives in Royal Oak, and my G/F is in Ann Arbor. I love it around there, they just don't seam very receptive to importing Canadian programmers there.
I spent quite alot of time in various places in Auburn Hills, mainly ABB, and worked with many firms in the area of Detroit. Lear, C & A, Magna, Intier, etc.

Eric thats fricken hillarious, will tell them they can only test vehicles with On Star in them. I will just tell them why the heck am I trying to re-invent the wheel!!! Be good for a laugh, thanks.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh the other day, seams to be a common reaction to pressure I sometimes have.

electrified,

Back to the remote.... I didnt relize it was a carwash type thing..As usual the cost of the equipment usually turns out to be a smiggin of the total project cost with labor, time and all. So if you figure in ALL the costs, and the reliability issues, the crane type remotes might be the best option, event though they cost more.

Anyway back before they built the Thomas Edison Inn, we used to go diving off the shore there. It was awsome to watch the freightors go overhead. Like you said the current under the bridge is pretty rough.

Never dived from the Cannok side though. Once went to Tobamoray (not sure of the spelling), but Cannok Customs emptied our tanks, removed the valves and took a look inside them. Oh well... So we rented a cannoe and island hopped for a few day in the Bay. Ok so it's been a while but used to make regular crossings for Labatts Extra Stock. Still have a case of empties. Also used to take the Hog to the Pinnery every year with about 5,000 others.. LOTs of fun..

Good luck with your presentation...