S7-300 upload to PG/PC in Step 7

diego

Hello there,

I'm quiet unexperienced with programming PLC's and I was wondering if somebody could help me with this problem.
I'm trying to upload the PLC-program to my portable PC. Therefore I am connected from the COM-port of my PC to the PLC by means of a RS232 cable and a Siemens PC-adapter 6ES7 972-OCA23-0XA0.
I've created a new project and than start the menu-item "Upload to PC/PG", but the only message I get is:
Error: 33:17106
"Communication link with the adapter is damaged".
What could be the reason of this error, are what am I doing wrong ??

PS: The COM-port of my PC is working fine, the RS232-cable is ok and the PC-adapter is working fine because in process-situation the adapter is connected to another PC.

Thanks,

Diego

Don't know the OCA23, mines an OCA21, but I assume that's just a minor upgrade, possibly with higher speed capability.

Have a look at the LEDs on the adapter, the power LED should be on as soon as you plug into the MPI port (assuming the CPUs powered up, of course!) and the "active" or data LED should blink when you try to communicate.

If the "active" LED doesn't blink, then you've probably got a cable problem. If that's the problem, come back again and we can dig up the cable specs - we were here recently for somebody else!

If it does blink, then there's probably something wrong in the setup of your communications parameters. You can check the settings in Simatic Manager under Extras - PG/PC interface setting. In particular check MPI address and the COM Baudrate must be the same as you've got your adapter set to.

Nearly forgot, if the "active" LED doesn't blink it could be you've selected the wrong COM port. Particulary on laptops you can have the situation where the RS232 port is not COM 1. If necessary experiment with COM 2 or 3.

Hope this gives you a starting point.

Cheers

Roy

Last edited:
Thanks already for the quick response.
To RMA: I think the LED's were indicating well, but I will do another test later on. At this moment, I can't do further testing because production is started up again and the adapter is occupied by the other PC.
About the COM-port: I already tried the RS232-connection with another device (fax) and this works fine.

To JesperMP: I just don't get in touch with the PLC at all. So, no "accessible nodes", not able to go "online". Always the same message as mentioned above.

PS: I also re-installed my Step7 software because I personally didn't do the first installation, but without any succes.

The COM-port of my PC is working fine, the RS232-cable is ok and the PC-adapter is working fine because in process-situation the adapter is connected to another PC.

Is it then the same S7 PLC, that it is connected to ?

If NOT same S7 PLC, then try to connect to the 'defective' S7 PLC from the 'good' PC.
- If you can NOT connect -> goto A.
- If you CAN connect -> goto B.

If SAME S7 PLC -> goto B.

A: Looks like the PLC is defective. Exchange the PLC.
B: S7 PLC + cable + MPI adapter is OK. Look further into troubleshooting the driver settings on the laptop.
- If no succes -> goto C.
C: Use the other PC for programming.

Last edited:
- Try to connect from your laptop to the 'good' PLC, just to see if it works this way.

Just to clear out the misunderstandings: there is only one PLC and this is connected by means of the adapter to a "desktop PC" for SCADA reasons and this works fine. Unfortunately, on this desktop PC I can't install the S7-software (old PC and the SCADA-packet occupies a lot of disk space and memory !)

If I open the "Set PG/PC interface"-settings is it correct that I have to use the "PC adapter (MPI)" or a different one ?

Be sure to check the MPI address and the baud rate. If you can see what it is set to on the SCADA machine, use those same settings on your laptop.

pg.gif

Even better:
If you can find out what node addresses PLC and HMI are set to, then set the laptop to a different one.
If you get the hardware, you can have both HMI and laptop online at the same time - if node adresses are not the same.

how upload PLC to PG

Hello there,

I'm quiet unexperienced with programming PLC's and I was wondering if somebody could help me with this problem.
I'm trying to upload the PLC-program to PG i did but i have problem that after upload the programe and open Block massage appeared
LAD/STL/FBD (30:503) there no parameter and local variable names ...so how can i solve this problem..

plz help me
thanks

1. Do start a new thread next time.Next time only post ONCE for the same question.

2. If you do not have the original STEP7 project, then there is nothing you can do about the missing symbolic names.
You can start from the bottom to document the program and specify symbols, but obviously that requires some insight into how the program must work.

Last edited:
If you have an electrical schematic, i'd fill in the I/O addresses in the symbol table and take it from there.

I've had to do this many times....:(

diego said:
Hello there,
:
Error: 33:17106
"Communication link with the adapter is damaged".
What could be the reason of this error, are what am I doing wrong ??

PS: The COM-port of my PC is working fine, the RS232-cable is ok and the PC-adapter is working fine because in process-situation the adapter is connected to another PC.

Thanks,

Diego

Check on the side of your adapter. There will be a small switch which says 19.2 k 0r 38.4k. Make sure this matches the settings in the set pg/pc interface

diego,
You say the RS232 cable is OK.
Is it an original Siemens cable ?
The cable is not "straight through". You can easily enough make
your own cable but it must be correct.
see attached

Last edited:
S7-314 ifm

hello there ,

i do have the similar problem now. did anyone found solutions earlier..?

how can i connect to a PLC 314-IFM (6ES7 314-5AE03-0AB0) with a PC Adapter (6ES7 972-0CA33-0XA0)...

ALWAYS HAVING CONNECTION PROBLEM WITH ERROR MESSAGE "ONLINE : COMMUNICATION LINK TO THE ADAPTER DAMAGED" (33:17106)

If someone help to list down the procedure to download the program from a PLC would be appreciative.

thank you.

regards,
Karthi