Beginner in need of help

Escrimador

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi :site:

I have worked with allen Bradley mainly and attended slc/plc5 fundamentals but didn't have much time into programming. Just for troubleshooting purpose.

My position required that I do some programming now and I would like to advance my programming skills.

I need assistant (want to learn) and direction on how to start this project with DirectSoft5.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here is my project:

I have a sprayer machine, when a part enter and go into a slot (4 individual slot total), turn the table then stop to get sprayed, and then turn the sprayed part into exit conveyor and repeats.

I don't have a print to go by but got wiring from plc DL05 I/O as follows
x0=entrance sensor x1=turn table position sensor
x2=sprayer done x3=not use
x4=reset pb x5=can exit
x6=jog

y0=not use y1=stop turn table
y2=sprayer sol valve y3=not use
y4=entrance gate y5=start turn table

Thank you 🤞🏻

Regards

Thank you for all those responded.

I have been reading the manual to get familiar with the DirectSoft5.

I am still not clear with some identifier and trying to compare with Allen Bradleys.

I have also bookmark those link provided here and learn as much as I can.

I really like the DRUM Instruction, but the manual just (IMO) don't give me enough samples. I am just the sample kind of guy. I will figure out the rest.

If you anyone can give me a sample (email or pm ok), with descriptions/function, It will appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards

If you have the option, ditch the DL05 and get something with a DoMore processor.

If that is not an option you can still go to Automation Directs website and look for videos on the Drum instruction.
(Should be basically the same as the DL05 if not exactly the same)

You can download the latest DoMore software for free at Automation Directs website also. Latest version is V_2.0.3. (You cannot use this software on the DL05, it is only for DoMore processors, but you can use it as a learning platform)

With this version software you can place any instruction on a rung and pull up the help menu for that instruction or link to a video on that instruction right from the programming software if you have an internet connection.
Both are very helpful resources. (AD also has more in depth videos on the website also in addition to what the programming software will link you to.)

BCS

Last edited:
Thank you for all those responded.

I have been reading the manual to get familiar with the DirectSoft5.

I am still not clear with some identifier and trying to compare with Allen Bradleys.

There is a member of this site (he is also on the AD site) Bernie Carlton. He maintains his own site, and part of it has a few pages for AB guys needing to transition to AD.
http://www.theplcguy.com/ABtoAD/Introduction.htm

your eagerness to learn is great, but you still need to answer the questions asked. Just trying to help you avoid an unpleasant situation.

these questions may already be answered, but I would do the following.
1. what does the company specifications require for new machinery?
2. what is the plc standard at your facility?
3. what plc's are at your facility and what programming software do you have?
4. which plc's do maintenance like and what do they prefer to trouble shoot?
5. what does engineering, maintenance want?

for example, if everything is ab, I would not put in another brand.
maintenance will hate it, be unable / refuse to trouble shoot the problem, you get calls at all hours of the day and night, production suffers, and you get the blame.

james,

1. what does the company specifications require for new machinery?

James, I have started and as most company-- SAFETY

2. what is the plc standard at your facility?

Standard? So far I've seen 5 (3 slc500, 1 Micrologix, 1 CompacLogix) and several Automation Direct, Siemens, and Mitsubishi. So far. I have not gone through all the Control Panels.

3. what plc's are at your facility and what programming software do you
have?

As mention on #2, I have access to all Programming Software for the
above.

4. which plc's do maintenance like and what do they prefer to trouble shoot?

There are 3 person in Maint. Dept. that just went through training with AB and Engineering.

5. what does engineering, maintenance want?

They installed the machine the way they wanted it and now, want see if I could make it run. We have other machine running and gave me a copy of the program. I think they or he wanted to see what I am capable of IDK :confused: but I am not gonna call it quit just yet. They are pretty generous so far.

james,

Thanks for the post James. I appreciate the efford guys/gals.
Back to work:book:

Regards