Slc500 Rio Network

nico

MY NAME IS NICO AND I'M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY RIO NETWORK. I HAVE A 13 SLOT BACKPLANE W/ A SLC 5/04 AND A 1747-SN SCANNER THAT IS CONNECTED TO A 10 SLOT BACKPLANE W/ A 1747-ASB ADAPTER MODULE INSTALLED. THE ADVANCED CONFIGURATION G FILE WAS ALREADY CONFIGURED WHEN I STARTED WORKING IN THIS COMPANY SO I NEED TO KNOW WHAT CHANGES I NEED TO MAKE TO MY G FILE TO FIX MY PROBLEM. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I HAD TO ADD A ANALOG INPUT MODULE TO THE CHASSIS THAT HOUSES THE ASB ADAPTER MODULE AND ALL DIGITAL I/O CARDS ARE RECOGNIZED BY THE SCANNER MODULE WHEN I LOOK AT THE DATA TABLE BUT THE ANALOG MODULE IS NOT PRESENT IN THE DATA TABLE VIA THE SCANNER MODULE. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO OR CHANGE SO THAT THE SCANNER RECOGNIZES THE 1746-NI4 ANALOG INPUT MODULE? THE G FILE IS CURRENTLY SETUP AS FOLLOWS
LOGICAL RACK 0/ GROUP 0 = FULL RACK
LOGICAL RACK 1/ GROUP 0 = 1/4 RACK

ALL SUGGESTIONS AND HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND NEEDED.
THANK YOU :)

More Questoins than answers

What series of SN modues (A or B) ?

What kind of analog module (assuming 1746-NI4, but I'm just checking)

What other cards are in the remote rack?

Which slot is the NI4 going in?

<hr>

It's been a while, but the way I remember taht the way that the 1746-SN module is not by physical racks (i.e., a 10-slot chassis = 1.25 "physical racks"), but by the type and number of cards that the ASB has control of. Each 16 point discrete I/O card = 1 slot = 1/8 rack. A 4-channel analog card = 4 slots = 1/2 rack. I think that an empty slot is in the chassis is also counted as a slot (= 1/8 rack), but don't remember.

So if the 10 slot chassis has the first 9 slots of 16-bit discrete I/O (=9/8 racks), and then you add the NI4 in slot 10 (+ 4/8 rack), you've got 13/8 = 1 rack, 5 slots --> rounds to 1 rack, 6 slots, or 1 3/4 racks.

Double check - there may be DIP switches on the ASB you need to set as well.

If you are using 1 slot addressing the NI4 can only be addressed using block transfers. If you are using 1/2 slot addressing you can discretely address the NI4.

When using block transfers you have to be sure of a couple of things:

1. Your scanner supports it - only series B or later scanners have block transfer support

2. Your adapter is configured for it - there is a DIP switch on the module to put it in block transfer or discrete mode.

It sounds like your configuration is using 1 slot addressing but check the DIP switch configuration on the adapter to be sure. If it is set up for 1 slot addressing then check the two points made above. If your scanner is series B and you have enabled block transfer mode then check out http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/174766.pdf for details on block transfer use.

If you have a series A scanner that doesn't support block transfers you can still address the NI4 but would have to use 1/2 slot addressing. Check out the info at http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1747613.pdf about 1/2 slot addressing considerations.

THANKS FOR RESPONDING ALLEN
WE ARE USING A SERIES B SCANNER, THE ANALOG CARD IS A 1746-NI4
THE CHASSIS IS CONFIGURED AS SUCH
SLOT1- 1747-ASB ADAPTER MODULE
SLOT2- 1746-IA8I ISOLATED INPUT
SLOT3- 1746-IA8I ''
SLOT4- 1746-IA8I ''
SLOT5- 1746-IA16 ''
SLOT6- EMPTY
SLOT7- 1746-OW16 RELAY OUTPUT
SLOT8- 1746-OW16 ''
SLOT9- EMPTY
SLOT10- 1746-NI4 ANALOG INPUT

Last edited:
It appears from you configuration that you are using single slot addressing.
Your G file will allready be setup for the complete 10-slot rack.
You will need to read the Analog input card by using a block transfer read because your analog input card has 4 words of data to transer.
Make sure that SW3-7 Specialty I/O Mode is Off.
SW3-7 determines the specialty I/O mode (discrete or block
transfer).

See the following links for more info.

Block Transfer to 1746-NI4 Using ladder logic (Doc #11928)

http://domino.automation.rockwell.c...85c0060734b?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,1746-ni4

Block Transfer to 1746-NI8 (Doc #11912)

http://domino.automation.rockwell.c...855006884ec?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,1746-ni8