Anybody got any good frequency dividers?

I'm looking for something that will divide a differential encoder input by 8.

I found one by Northstar, but at $786, it was a mite too salty. I don't need adjustable rates of division, and I know I could make this thing for <$10 in chips, but I'd like an off-the-shelf solution.

I wonder... do we ever get too fixated about "off-the-shelf solutions"?

TM

TimothyMoulder said:
...I wonder... do we ever get too fixated about "off-the-shelf solutions"?TM

Absolutly not. Your doing everybody a favor when you get a "standard" item in a system.

I have scratched epoxie filled PVC boxes to find what was in them at 3 in the mornig a few times.

How much $/hour does it cost to stop a plant and wait till we find what the heck this gizzmo is doing?

Use a PLC?

Tim, if you are going into a PLC, let it do the freq. div. for you.
If you are not going into PLC, then go there anyway and then back out to your application. Sure beats trying to make a TTL counter work, like Pierre said, a little help for the poor shift electrician is always a good deed.

Found it... wait'll you see this!

Panic - thanks for the links! The turck unit was too low on the input frequency, but defnitely going in my "future use" file. Not looking for analog. I also saw the MSK, nice unit.

Pierre - two things keep me from being adventurous; I'm too stupid to risk being that creative, and I'm basically lazy. Who says vices don't work in your favor?

Actually, I agree that solutions should be off the shelf, but I wonder sometimes if we limit ourselves by NOT being as creative as we could be.

Randy - I am going into a PLC, but the input frequency is too high for the HSC. Gotta scale that sucker down to a reasonable level.

So now, for what I found. Actually, I didn't find it, RSDoran did. He posted it in response to an earlier message of mine looking for a counts-to-serial solution to the same problem.

Miranova (www.miranova.com) makes encoder adapters for a variey of purposes. Top input frequency as high as 1 MHz. The unit I'm getting does 4 channels of differential input, dip switch selectable divisor of 1,2,4,or 8.

Price? $350 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick.

Thanks for the help!

TM

Why not doing it!!!!!!!!!
use a pic and get what you want for 20$ !!!
i dont understand why people says that a thing that you buy for 700$ is better that what you can do for 20.
even if you have a fault whit it, at least you know what was it, instead of spend lot of money in telephone asking " i dont know, it just blew out... is it in warranty???."

just do it...