CompactLogix Controller Faulting

wolverine1981

Good Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with a Allen Bradley 1769-L33ER controller after powering up it faults out.

It seems that every time the unit is powered down then back up it will fault out, as to the fault I can not be sure as I have not seen this yet.

Now I am told that they have tried to cycle power but to no avail, but when the key is cycled from REM to PROG 2x the fault is reset. Unfortunately I can not post the program, but I have left step by step instructions for viewing the fault. As of now I am just trying to brain storm o_Oo_Oo_O to try to get ahead of the issue.

Thanks
Tom

Cycling from remote to program and back to remote will leave the PLC in "remote program" and not put it into run. If cycling it to run faults the PLC, I've had an issue before where the program was lost on power failure and the battery had apparently gone bad (if I'm remembering correctly). Another one we had reboot and when placed into run it would fault because the IP address had been assigned to another device while it was powered off, but I'm pretty sure that is one that the run light blinks instead of showing the actual fault light? Been a while.

Had a similar issue with a L30ER. The remote rack was too slow in responding to the roll call. Consequently the PLC would fault on comms. Went through the power supplies, the AENTR, removed and re-seated each module, changed out all the ethernet cabling. Still faulted.

Finally had to get RA on the phone. Their resolution was to uncheck the Major Fault on the connections tab of all the remote rack modules and create a subroutine to GSV "status check", then create alarms for each.

Problem went away after that.

Good luck.

True on the slow comms with remote racks. If you have a remote rack and a Stratix switch in there, throw the Stratix in the trash and get a switch that doesn't take 10 minutes to wake up.

How old is this controller? I got a notice of potential product concern for a 1769-L33ERMS stating that they have this same issue (Major Fault after power cycle) and the affected controllers were manufactured between October 2016 and July 2017. Not sure if the L33ER were affected or not.

If it faults every time it powers up, then schedule a power cycle and get online with the faulted controller to see what the fault code is.

It might be a programming error, or a networking problem, or a hardware fault.

Is the "OK" LED flashing red, or solid red ?

Had a similar issue with a L30ER. The remote rack was too slow in responding to the roll call. Consequently the PLC would fault on comms. Went through the power supplies, the AENTR, removed and re-seated each module, changed out all the ethernet cabling. Still faulted.

Finally had to get RA on the phone. Their resolution was to uncheck the Major Fault on the connections tab of all the remote rack modules and create a subroutine to GSV "status check", then create alarms for each.

Problem went away after that.

Good luck.

I've had this exact issue as well. Unchecking the Major Fault on Comms fixed it. This happened to a 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B that had been running in the field for several months, and one day it just started faulting. None of the other remote sites had the issue (ten other wastewater lift stations), nor have they even though I didn't make the change on the other sites to see if they'd start failing (client didn't want to pay for the time so we compromised and said let's see if they others do it; they didn't). It can "just happen" to a seemingly random controller, it seems.

A Minor Fault doesn't halt the program, nor does it run any fault handler routines, so your question is irrelevant.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I was shooting more towards recoverable vs non-recoverable fault, just got a bit of a mix up. But he said cycling the key switch will clear the fault, which points to a recoverable fault... Just need more info to help him out, but implementation of a fault handler routine could help prevent execution and store your fault in array to help with troubleshooting.

Is it possible that you have a power up routine defined but empty?
That will fault controller on the power up.