AB training in Illiois. Is it valuable?

Ivan86

Hello guys. I have the question that probably can change my future. AB offer training in Illinois. They teach Studio 5000. I am familiar with Rslogic 500 and Wonderware, Factory talk but can't get job in programming. Only automation tech without using of Leptop. Can this sertificate help me? It is no cheap and need relocate myself for couple days. I need your help guys like never before) SOS.

Screenshot_20171004-092541.jpg

I believe there is value in the training, I've taken pretty much every course they've offered going back to PLC-5 days. But just taking training won't make you a PLC programmer. Also, that course description strikes me as one of the "maintainer" classes, which is valuable but focuses on common hardware and configuration issues. This type of course is generally paid for by employers, at least in my experience.

Thank you. I have option to go to collage for two semesters or participate this training. Price is the same. In collage they tech robotics I and PLC I. Have dilemma. I think in resume AB sertificate is more valuable

Thank you. I have option to go to collage for two semesters or participate this training. Price is the same. In collage they tech robotics I and PLC I. Have dilemma. I think in resume AB sertificate is more valuable

I think that two semesters of "collage" are more valuable than the AB "sertificate", and you can also take some English classes.🍻

What is English language teacher doing on PLC forum?
Ladder logic and wiring do not require fluent English. Isn't it? I will improve anyway. Thank you for you criticism . About college) . Do you really think it is more valuable? Why?

Ivan86, You wrote everything correct and it's sad because common sense is not very common these days ;)

English is not my first language and people use to make fun of me when I moved to Canada and trust me we are way better than people who make fun of our English and you know why?
1. We are very fluent in our mother tongue, we can read, write and speak
2. We are learning English which is not our first language but we made it pretty good so far!

Imagine, People who only speak English and they move to China or India and don't know anything about their language. Can they find a job or survive and if they try to survive and people make fun of their language which is not their first language, how would they feel!

I think Joke and respect are the two sides of one coin and you may disrespect someone while making a joke!

RESPECT!!!

Ivan 86

You will have more opportunity in a college setting to learn and ask. You will have resources that you can use beyond the three or four days of an AB class.

It will serve you better down the road as well.

Lots of RS/Studio 5000 videos on line in the meantime.

Good luck to you Sir

English is not my first language....

Could've fooled me... and very well put

I would love to speak another, I can speak little spanish (grew up in California) and lived in the south enough that I can speak Redneck but thats about it

I just think it was a bad joke from Elcan...

Back On Topic, Ivan are you paying? if so I would not take the AB class, I have taken several AB classes and even though they are good, I would of been disappointed if I had to flip the bill, do the other classes and buy yourself some hardware and learn on your own, there is a ton of free information that will help you

What is English language teacher doing on PLC forum?
Ladder logic and wiring do not require fluent English. Isn't it? I will improve anyway. Thank you for you criticism .
Ivan, it was not my intention to make fun of you (I even used the beer chug emoticon to show having fun together). I'm very sorry if I hurt your feelings. I had thought you were a very young English native speaker. I am not an English native speaker myself...
Again, please accept my apologies!
About college) . Do you really think it is more valuable? Why?
I think that 2 college semesters are more valuable than a few days training, for the simple reason of more hours of education, but also because you will be learning something generic, not tied to any brand. I would get the basics about PLCs at the lowest possible cost for you, and then, once you get your first job, you will learn the details about the brand your employer uses hands on, and he can even pay for those expensive trainings.

Thank you for your opinion. I really can learn by myself but the problem is that it is looks like I am not competitive enough for position required PLC programming. Usually the description of the job requires BS, MS degree in WE or ME or computer science. I have M.D. in industrial engineering. So my question is it enough Associate degree or certificate to get job with programming?

Thank you for your opinion. I really can learn by myself but the problem is that it is looks like I am not competitive enough for position required PLC programming. Usually the description of the job requires BS, MS degree in WE or ME or computer science. I have M.D. in industrial engineering. So my question is it enough Associate degree or certificate to get job with programming?
You don't need a degree for all the PLC programming jobs, you just need to know how to program (preferably a PLC), or you have to demonstrate that you are somebody with self initiative and willing to learn new stuff. If you have an idea of programming in any language (not necessarily PLCs) and if you have electrical knowledge, you are in good shape.

I wish you best of luck!

About college) . Do you really think it is more valuable? Why?

Any idiot with money can go to an A-B class, sit in it for a week with a dumb look on his face, and come out on Friday afternoon with a smile and a certificate. It requires no homework or study. The certificate is not proof that you learned anything. It should be pretty obvious that 16 hours of lectures and 16 hours of lab (where you mostly type in what is in a lab book) will not be even close to 16 weeks of 3 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab, and required homework and study.

This is not to say that you can't learn from an A-B class, but its more to give a guy a little push and help him figure out where to get started on the material. Then he needs to do a lot of work on his own but without an instructor to ask questions. You can always ask here, but you run the risk of someone hurting your feelings when you ask or write something stupid. On the other hand, you can ask some really good questions, but you still run the risk of someone hurting your feelings.

Totally agree. But I think that peace of paper makes you much more competitive for HR agent.
My conclusion is better go to college and get certificate than AB special intensive training.

Rockwell classes I've taken are 50% agenda based and the rest is left to the occupants and the experience and knowledge of the instructor. If you have a smart instructor and good questions, you can get a lot more out of the class.

Make sure to look into the college classes, and try to find reviews. Could be just as big of a flop, a lot give you Logixpro and worksheets of tasks and that's about it. You can accomplish that all by yourself for about 25$.

That being said, a Rockwell certificate is just a receipt and attendance record.