Training Room Wall Mount System for Hardware

Jmeadows7676

So, I'm in the process of designing a Training room where I will mount a lot of PLC hardware Old and New. Some will use Din rail and others will have to be mounted by screws. I guess I'm just wondering is there a better option than mounting a piece of Plywood to the wall and then mounting everything to that. It seems years ago I remember seeing so pictures of a Rockwell Training lab and they had some type of Panel that hade slats or something in it. It made attaching the PLCs/ switch almost modular. They could be moved around easily for training purposes. Does anyone know anything like that. I really want it to look nice.

Google:

slat walls for retail stores

The first hit was spacewall - for controls components you would want a box of their backplates. The walls are available in colors, brick-look, metal, and other surfaces.

It's a wall of slat grooves and a lot of different types of hooks and mounts are available for it

Last edited:
I have been thinking about using a piece of plywood on a TV wall mount for my home lab, but that is small potatoes and may not work well for a larger facility.

I definitely recommend you use metal, after all, you will have students as such in an industrial environment & for safeties sake wood is not recommended for mounting electrical equipment as it may be left on unattended.
I do remember seeing one made out of a panel mounting plate, this one had slots in it rather than the normal plain steel panel never really took much notice but it did appear to be of a design to mount things like din rail & other components without using a drill so I assume the hole spacing or size plus the captive nuts must make it easy to fit any component. I believe it was a legrand.

We've done this with plywood. If you want to move stuff around a lot it might not be the best but ours is pretty much static and it's cheap

I definitely recommend you use metal, after all, you will have students as such in an industrial environment & for safeties sake wood is not recommended for mounting electrical equipment as it may be left on unattended.
I do remember seeing one made out of a panel mounting plate, this one had slots in it rather than the normal plain steel panel never really took much notice but it did appear to be of a design to mount things like din rail & other components without using a drill so I assume the hole spacing or size plus the captive nuts must make it easy to fit any component. I believe it was a legrand.

Schneider still make these perforated chassis plates. Part of their Spacial Range. Come in a wide range of shapes and sizes

SPACIAL_CRN.PNG

Would a thing called a Telequick Plate do the job, then you use snap nuts to fix things? This might be a German/European thing, don't know if they are available in the US.

Chud beat me to it :)

Telequick Plate.jpg

The first hit was spacewall - for controls components you would want a box of their backplates. The walls are available in colors, brick-look, metal, and other surfaces.

It's a wall of slat grooves and a lot of different types of hooks and mounts are available for it

+1

Also look at "garage" systems there are a lot of options, I used and still use the plywood system