Classroom training for SEW Movimot in USA?

strantor

I am looking for SEW Movimot classroom training the USA, preferably in TX, even more preferably in/around Houston. Surely there is something provided by a distributor? I have found the training for Movidrive on SEW's own website but their offerings are rather anemic. We have a few movidrives in the plant so it wouldn't hurt, but where we usually have problems is on the Movimots, of which we have hundreds. Would really like to get a few of my guys fluent with those things so we stop reordering complete movimot units from the OEM.

MoviMots are pretty much a DR series motor with a MoviTrac on it. If you have access to a USB11A and laptop with MotionStudio or MCD Tools on it, that's about all you should need. It shares a great number of similarities with the MoviTrac drives, and some with the MoviDrive items.

What are you looking for specifically? I'm surprised your local distributor can't point you in the right direction.

MoviMots are pretty much a DR series motor with a MoviTrac on it. If you have access to a USB11A and laptop with MotionStudio or MCD Tools on it, that's about all you should need. It shares a great number of similarities with the MoviTrac drives, and some with the MoviDrive items.

What are you looking for specifically? I'm surprised your local distributor can't point you in the right direction.

I have USB11A and motionstudio and I can diagnose the motors, but I am the only one here who can. I am not always part of the maintenance crew; I'm a dual purpose person and half the time I'm working on engineering projects. That is soon ramping up to way more than half the time so I need to get the maintenance crew a little more fluent with the SEW units so they can do what I do, when I'm not available. I suppose I could host the training myself, show them what I know, but I would really rather have it come from the horse's mouth because everything I know about them is self-taught, and I don't want to spread misinformation. Also I don't have the time to put together any kind of formal training.

I would like them to be able to:
  • identify an encoder (as incremental or absolute)
  • identify the various application-specific components which are sometimes installed (dynamic braking unit and resistor, expansion I/O, mechanical brake and controller, powered fan, etc.)
  • understand what the various DIP switches and pots do
  • understand AS-I and profinet addressing
  • know how to upload/download parameters
  • understand the part numbering scheme so they can order spares from local vendors instead of through the OEM
  • Understand differences between various gearbox technologies and identify type & ratio
  • be able to diagnose a gearbox problem vs a motor problem vs a drive problem instead of replacing the entire unit.
  • monitor online process variables and diagnose a problem with the SEW-powered machinery vs. a problem with the actual SEW unit.

SEW-Eurodrive has a field office in DeSoto Texas

From their US website:
SEW-EURODRIVE INC.
202 W. Danieldale Rd.
DeSoto, TX 75115
Tel. +1 214 330-4824
Fax +1 214 330-4724
[email protected]

They may have training onsite, I know a SEW serviceman from the Detroit area field office told me they do some training.

Last edited:
SEW-Eurodrive has a field office in DeSoto Texas

From their US website:
SEW-EURODRIVE INC.
202 W. Danieldale Rd.
DeSoto, TX 75115
Tel. +1 214 330-4824
Fax +1 214 330-4724
[email protected]

They may have training onsite, I know a SEW serviceman from the Detroit area field office told me they do some training.

Hey, Thank you! I emailed that customer service address over the weekend, asking about any training they might offer that isn't listed on the website. This morning I am in touch with two engineers from SEW. We are discussing having someone from SEW come and put on a training here at our location.

I would highly recommend you pursue SEW to create company specific part numbers for your drives. Since almost every single drive is made to specifications and requirements, there aren’t really part numbers. They use SO numbers which is just a serial number.

I would highly recommend you pursue SEW to create company specific part numbers for your drives. Since almost every single drive is made to specifications and requirements, there aren’t really part numbers. They use SO numbers which is just a serial number.

That is part of what I hope to get out of the training. These drives already have SO numbers, which are from the OEM of the machinery. These numbers don't mean anything to our maintenance techs. When for example a mechanical brake wears out and a conveyor start overtravelling, an entire new unit [motor, VFD, gearbox, braking control unit, fan, and actual brake] is ordered when only an actual brakes needs replacing. And it comes from the OEM in Germany which is on a different clock and takes time program it and get it out the door with every kind of expedite/rush/red emergency shipping option that exists, and still it results in several days downtime. I want my guys able to diagnose what component of the unit is bad, and order just that, from US stock, without needing any programming (and if it does, my guys can do that part too).

I have the SEW reps coming out Thursday to take a look and see what our situation is. No doubt they will see the OEM SO#'s, and I'm curious how that will work. I'm sure that they could look up these numbers if they wanted to, and get a build sheet for each drive. But would they actually do that? Would it upset the OEM or violate some sort of confidentiality? Because by them selling direct to us, they'd be essentially undercutting the OEM, which is a much more valuable customer than we are.