PLC (Ethernet/DeviceNet) compatible Label Printer

mattbdb

Ok I need to get a label printer for packaging. The box the label goes on is relatively small. The label needs to be about 2.2" also. The current printer we have is currently connected to a serial port and the VB code for the data on the label was very extensive. I want to buy a package label printer that is PLC compatible (EtherNet or DeviceNet). This will save us a lot of hassle. Does anyone have any advice for me on a specific product they know about or use at their place of employment. Thanks for the help.

we used RS232 port of Zebra printers but there are other brands too.
Zebra's usually have both LPT and RS232 interface.
programming manual is straight forward but after some time
we got lazy of reading it, so we simply connected printer
to PC, created label to our liking using their windows software
and printed it out. Captured RS232 output was then copied into PLC.
easy...

I like the Quicklabel systems QLS4100Xe 4 color printer. Note: though it has etherner / parrelle and serial but not devicenet. Also the Contrologix ethernet enbt/a card cannot directly talk to the printer. you would need to use parrell through a print server to tcp/ip. works very well.

If 4 colors are not necessary look at the Zebra printers and also look at Loftware as an interface package.

good luck