Anyone Using CoDeSys?

I've been told that ABB, and many other European manufacturers are outsourcing their PLC programming software to CoDeSys.

It's a good package, even better if you know a little German. I don't know how it varies from brand-to-brand, but the idea of a common programming software for everyone is pretty cool! The software itself is pretty simple. I think the hard part is learning your manufacturer's syntax and commands.

AK

The programming claims to be IEEE 61131 and it is pretty easy to use. All the regular PLC stuff is fine.

My hang ups are coming in using some the libraries provided. Specifically the one for writing files and the one for real time clock accesss. Also, in getting the OPC Server up and working.

A lot of companies do use CodeSys as the PLC editor and the compiled code is simply downloaded to their hardware. I have worked with some of these companies that use CodeSys as their editor. I have had very good experiences with it, but I have never used it standalone, and always as part of another system.

Nick