Brand new VERSAVIEW monitor

zqew05

We just received a brand new Versaview monitor for a machine and powered it up. All we got was a note saying "no sync" which disappeared after about ten seconds, after which all we had was a black screen. Our Instrumentation hand have never worked on a Versaview before and our Automation hand is not here. Can't get anyone on the phone due to the holidays. We need to load a program but there is no display. The machinery OEM is usually pro-active and give us the program that shows a step-by-step instruction on what to do on the display but can't really do any program loading until we can read something on the display. It has a bult-in membrane type miniature keyboard at the right of the display. Help!!!

... just for the heck of it ...

On some Allen Bradley Monitor/PC combo there need to be a short cable from the PC to the monitor part, even though it's all one-piece.

Take a look, is there two DB-15 connectors somewhere on this 'thing'?

Is this a VersaView PC or just a monitor ?

"No Sync" is what appears on any monitor when there is no video input. You either have a bad cable or no video output from the computer to which the monitor is connected.

If this is a VersaView PC with a built-in monitor, then there may be a loose internal connection.

If the PC has an external VGA video port, you could try hooking up an ordinary PC monitor to it to check for output.

You might also have a bad video card, in which case you're going to need some parts from A-B. The emergency parts division does run 24/7/365, but getting parts costs extra on a holiday.

might be too simple but....

If you look under the monitor , which I assume is PC/touchpanel , on the LHS , looking at the front of the panel , you will find the power switch which is a little black rocker , sprung off , try giving this a little flick . Unfortunately , this TP can't just be left on , and autostart after power up , you have to flick the little switch . I didn't have time to rip its guts out and see if the switch could be defeated , but I suspect that this is only a "soft" power button.

Fellas, thanks for the input.

I've been out of pocket for several days but am back now. We got it fixed and felt stupid for it. We took a step back and started with the simple basic things... like a video cable. We never had this kind of hi-tech monitor so we thought everything is ready to go, just needs power. The Engine OEM's instruction did not say we have to cannibalize the cable from the obsolete monitor (an ancient AB OIS) and put it on this new-fangled machine. We assumed everything is wired internally. This OEM usually buys from AB then repackage it as their own by adding one little extra hardware or firmware inside. We got it going and called them the next working day to complain about not including a $10 cable for an $11,000 machine. They said they have been getting a lot of returns on this brand new model... I WONDER WHY