Recommanded Asolute Encoder Brand.

I've used profinet/profibus versions from this company for years. Reliable and not too pricey.

https://www.kuebler.com/en/products/measurement/encoders

If the encoder is being used to calculate a speed as well as position, the update rate should be synchronous to what ever is calculating the speed. Profibus is pretty fast but it isn't normally synchronous. However, sometimes it doesn't affect the application much.

I've used Sick encoders and Allen-Bradley Ethernet/IP encoders with good results. Hard to wrong with either brand really.

Any of you would recommend a brand for absolute encoder on a drive shaft.

This is a pretty ambiguous request.

First, do you mean single turn absolute or multiturn absolute? These are different beasts.

What will you be connecting the encoder to? What types of signals does it accept? SSI is mentioned a lot in this thread so far. Also Bus networks are possibilities as well as BiSS and EnDAt. Here's an article comparing some of these:
https://www.motioncontroltips.com/a...differences-between-ssi-biss-hiperface-endat/

Do you need to reach a certain resolution counts / revolution?

What is the environment like where the encoder will be installed?

What is the form factor required for the encoder; shaft output? hollow shaft, cable out the back, cable out the side, etc...

Last edited:
Sick has plenty of options. So does Danaher.
Dynapar is OK too.
I just said Sick as my first choice because I/we have been working with them the longest. Back in the late 1990s a person from Stegmann posted on sci.engr.control about the new Stegmann SSI encoders. I was interested because for that there was only resolvers. I didn't like resolvers because every company had their own standards and the resolvers didn't respond well to fast accelerations. I/we jumped on the Stegmann resolvers. The SSI standard is now fairly standard. There are still some companies that mess things up by adding extra bits at the end. Sick ended up acquiring Stegmann.

This is a pretty ambiguous request.

First, do you mean single turn absolute or multiturn absolute? These are different beasts.

What will you be connecting the encoder to? Connecting to Drive

What types of signals does it accept?SSI

SSI is mentioned a lot in this thread so far. Also Bus networks are possibilities as well as BiSS and EnDAt. Here's an article comparing some of these:
https://www.motioncontroltips.com/a...differences-between-ssi-biss-hiperface-endat/

Do you need to reach a certain resolution counts / revolution? more the 1024 is fine

What is the environment like where the encoder will be installed? wet and dust environment

What is the form factor required for the encoder; shaft output? hollow shaft, cable out the back, cable out the side, etc...
hollow shaft