Cost of software

Fred Floggle

I'd like some help !
I'd like to know what a good programmer would charge for the following software - which is to be written with structure and comments , to be properly tested and simulated as far as possible .

PLC Hardware :-
315 2DP processor , MP370 TP
5 Off MM440 drives PROFIBUS network

Software platform :- S7 5.3 - Protool Pro 6.0 SP2

Software to control two linked industrial dryers , provided for starting and monitoring in manual and automatic mode of 60 motors of which 5 are controlled by VFD's . Motors will start in sequence when in auto mode and stop back as required . Your motor control block will have the facility to monitor feedback from the starter contactor ( fail to start timer) , as well as isolator and overload feedback (although not presently used in the application) .
There will be 18 PID control loops , which will control temperature/humidity , and take an analogue input from a device , scale it and output to an analogue device . 5 loops will be required to carry our a preheat sequence . One loop only will drive a MM440 drive to run a pump - your VFD control will be capable of starting and stopping the motors in auto/manual modes , sending the setpoint to the drive , reading the PV back from the drive and monitoring for faults .10 recipes of 15 real parameters are also required .
You will need to develop screen applications for the MP370 - approximately 30 screens , which will allow for the indivdual tuning and monitoring of all PID loops , with a trending window in each screen . PID settings will be input on each screen individually , but won't be required in the recipes , just a common DB . You will be provided with two Acad drawings that you will be required to use , with multistate lamps for all motors and drives . There will be a screen for mode selection and manual starting of motors . An auto start/restart button will be required . Simple alarms for all motors will be required (only "motor fault" at this time) . There will be a screen for input of system parameters , , start and stop times and fixed output for PID loops - All PID loops will be capable of running in manual should the operator require it .

I think thats probably enough to start with ! your code will need to be structured well because this application will just about be on the limit for the processor .
How would you price it ? , you'll get machine drawings and motor sequence , a P&ID and electrical drawings .

You can price by I/O point if you wish .

Fred Floggle,

The programming cost depends somewhat on the time factor: Do I have 6 months or 6 days? Do I have time to do it myself (probably take 1 man 2 months), or must I hire a team to help me get it done in time? It does make a difference. I would make a SWAG estimate of $15000 US dollars for the S7 PLC and MP370 screen programming, based on the amount of equipment (I/O points), assuming that I have plenty of time to do it all myself.

Last edited:
and you'll need to charge the customer for the dedicated internet connection you'll need to this forum so we can help you "debug" :D

the "old grouch"