1769-ws

Jnelson

Have any of you guys used the 1769-WS module from Hardy instruments in a ML-1500? If anyone has, I would like to ask a couple questions since the factory is unable to answer them. I called Hardy today and was less than impressed with their technical support people. I had what I thought were some pretty simple straight forward questions about the product that they are selling. I was in touch with 4 different support engineers and none of them could answer my questions. How the hell can you sell a product on the open market when you have no one that works for you that knows how to use it???

Here are the two most important questions that I need answered, all the other one’s can wait.

-Can I install the 1756-WS module in an expansion base on the ML 1500?

One Hardy engineer said it had to be within 4 slots of the CPU and another said no, no that is wrong it can be anywhere as long as it is within 4 slots of a power supply?

-What is the buss current load for the module?

This they just could not answer. The manual state’s <1 amp? What ??? How am I supposed to figure out the power budget of the rack if they cannot tell me what their product requires?

They sent me a sample program on how to read data from the card and write parameters to the card. My god, you have to practically jump through hoops to get the data into your data tables!! I gotta think that it could have been easier somehow, especially for the $1500 bucks they charge you for a single channel unit.

I am not bashing them, but I was on the phone with them for almost 2 hours today trying to drain information out of them, WTF?

John,

Would looking at the sample program for the SLC 1746 WS be of any help? The reasone I mention this is because both the ML1500 and SLC5/03 use RS500. I know its a long shot but what the heck.

I use the sample program for the SLC 5/03 and it went well. I did have to correct a couple bits of code for the C2 to work correctly but it was no big deal.

Bob O.

There isn't a literal "distance from CPU" limitation with the MicroLogix 1500.

The position limitation has to do with the power supply, and of course when you're not using an expansion I/O bank the MicroLogix 1500 base itself is the power supply.

So, YES, you can use the weighscale module with an expansion I/O bank as long as it's closer than 4 modules from the power supply.

I don't know anything else about the -WS module, unfortunately.

I can't help specifically with the 1769-WS module because I haven't used it, but I have used the SLC, CLX and DeviceNet versions. In general the Hardy Instruments Weigh scale solutions work very well and deliver superb results, especially where high speed and vibration are issues.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help!

I am short on time right now but will reply later. I did get some more information from Hardy that I would like to share. On a positive note also, I might add.

Thanks again

Sorry guys I have been full throttle the last couple days.

This is the response I received from Hardy…
We did some testing here and we find that the module draws .6 amp by itself and we get 5.5 mA per 1000 ohm load cell
connected. I still cannot say 100% that it will work in an expansion chassis, but my engineers say there should be no reason
it would not work as long as it is within 4 slots of the power supply.
I have been making my way through the documentation that they sent me. After reviewing it some more it does not appear to be too bad to set up the card. I have yet to try it in the project because we are still in the wiring stages. I will post an update when I finally get to that point.

Does .6 amp seem steep to anyone else for a buss current draw?

Originally posted by Jnelson:

Does .6 amp seem steep to anyone else for a buss current draw?

That seems about right. For the module to do what it does it needs to be an intelligent module. Think of it more as a coprocessor with built-in anlog I/O. If you compare this bus current draw to other intelligent modules in the 1769 family, its at the high end but not out of line. For example, a 1769-SDN draws about 400mA. A 1769-ADN draws about 500 mA. A 1769-L35E draws 600 mA. Those silly microprocessors take their share of current.

Keith