rsview me and modem

hitesh

I have an application where I need to dial in from a remote site using a Allen Bradley RADKIT modem to a Compact logix L32E - I am dialling into the serial port. On the remote PC I am running a Runtime version of RSView ME - Is this possible Rockwell Automation can't answer my question.

Please help.

hitesh,

Yes, you may dial in to the Compact Logix PLC using the RADKIT modem. But how will this help to access the RSView Runtime? The only way I know of to get into RSView from a remote location is to purchase the RSView Active Display Server program. I have used this one to access RSView remotely via a modem. You can actually run the project from a remote location using the Active Dispaly Server program. This program runs concurrently with RSView, giving it the front end needed for remote access. I recommend that you do not leave the modem connected if you go this route. Any hacker would be able to break in and start/stop your equipment at any time.

I should have mentioned that I am running RSView ME on the PC I need to start up the RSView Runtime as if I was local to the Compact Logix and not remote.

I understand that I would need to dial in with RSLINX Classic and I need to use RSLINX Enterprise - I am not sure how that is going to work with using the same com port in RSLINX

Anyone?

I don't think this is possible using only RSView ME Runtime.

You can do this if you have RSView Studio to modify the runtime configuration, and if you have RSLinx Classic that supports OPC (anything but Lite).

Create a new data server in RSView Studio. Call it "Classic Dialup".

Remove the Shortcut from RSLinx Enterprise. Remember the name of that Shortcut !

Create a DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx Classic, with a modem dialup configuration.

Create an OPC Topic in RSLinx Classic that points to your CompactLogix, and has the same name as the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut you deleted.

RSLinx Enterprise Shortcuts and RSLinx Classic OPC Topics are so similar that you can substitute one for the other and RSView ME won't know the difference. Just make sure you don't have them both created at the same time; I've had that confuse the software.