my first post is a software query

terrym

First of all I would like to say hello to all members and visitors, this is my first post on this forum but I have been reading general topics for a couple of weeks now. Mid March I attended a maintenance and trouble shooting course at Rockwell Automation using RS Logix 500, obviously most will know that I have just started studying AB controllers. I have signed up for a follow up course for programming. I want to ask a question that more than likely has already been asked. Are there any other PLC's (and assiciated software) that is similar to RS Logix 500, basically what I am asking is, when you can control one PLC does it mean you can control several other brand PLC's?. I dont have previous experience with PLCs but I needed an AB training course because we have a micrologix 1200 plc at work that I would like to have further understanding on.

Welcome to the forum, terrym :)

Are there any other PLC's (and assiciated software) that is similar to RS Logix 500 ..
They are all more or less similar.

when you can control one PLC does it mean you can control several other brand PLC's?
That would be too bold to say. You must expect some learning time if you switch to some other PLC. Until you can start working for real with a new PLC you may have to use 1 or 2 weeks to get familiarised with it and its software. To really learn all the details of a particular PLC you may have to work with it for several years.

Personally I find the SLC/MicroLogix + RSLogix500 to be one of the easiest PLC platforms to learn quickly.

Hello and welcome.
The rules you learn using Logix500 and the ML1200 can be carried across to other PLC manufacturers. There are obviously differences in the way they handle addressing and each brand will have its own quirks.
Logix500 can be used to program the AB MicroLogix range and SLC range.

Generally, each manufacturers' range of PLCs needs a specific programming package. In AB, you've got Logix500 for the ML and SLC, but you'll need Logix5000 for the CompactLogix or ControlLogix range.

You're in a good place to ask questions, though! :)

pp

Thankyou very much for the fast replies. Being completely new to PLC's I will stick to training and familiarising myself with the AB line of controllers simply because I think that if I were to study another brand it would be to much for me to take in all at once. Hopefully not to far into the future I would like to study another popular brand.
You're in a good place to ask questions, though!
This is good news, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.