PLC Basic

Zafars

You called this thread 'PLC Basics' and yes this is a really a basic question. I can't believe you actually asked it.

But to answer you question, the task of the input and output modules is to allow the PLC to communicate with the outside world (outide of the PLC).

Input modules report the state of the switches, push buttons, proximity switches etc to the PLC.

Output modules are used by the PLC to turn various things on, e.g lamps, solenoids, motor starters etc

Paul

I'm really worried by this question. It has got to be straight out of an end of chapter test in a book that has a paragraph entitled "The Function of I/O Modules". If you aren't willing to do that much research, there is no way to succeed at PLC programming, because you have to have the desire to learn. If I'm wrong let me know. Most questions asked and answered on this forum have to do with people working out bugs in their programs, or wanting to know how to achieve something with a particular PLC, etc. The experienced people we ask for free advice from don't have the time to answer the same lame "School Boy" questions day after day.

Since you are Canadian I see no reason that you should have trouble deciphering obvious English language terms like input and output. It always seemed to me that these were self evident meanings if you looked at the terms from the point of reference of a PLC.

If you do not have access to a text, please read the tutorial on this site and buy Phil's book. I have to agree with Vetteboy - you have to apply some mental effort or you are wasting your time and ours!

Tom Jenkins said:
Since you are Canadian I see no reason that you should have trouble deciphering obvious English language terms like input and output.

Actually Tom, our government discourages the use of English by the French or Immigrants so that they can freely live in a big multicultural society that can't even communicate with each other. If we could communicate, we would all get together and get our taxes lowered!

Vetteboy,

here in Belgium it's even worse. There is a pressiongroup trying to denote Arabic as the fourth afficial language in Belgium. Nowadays there are already troubles with neughbours who don't understand each others language since we already have Dutch, French and German (sorted to the number of users) as official languages (sorted to the number of users) and most people also understand English. I wonder what language the government will use to confuse us even further!

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

BTW to all you schoolboys and -girls: if you don't understand the basics, don't bother to ask questions. Start by studying your schoolbooks!