Basic PLC with IO-link, does it exist?

ggc

As per the title, does anybody make a basic PLC that directly supports IO-Link without requiring a fieldbus and remote IO modules?
I know it goes against the basics of what IO-Link was designed to do, but I've got an application that requires 2 * flow sensors, a stack light and some pushbutton control, getting fieldbuses involved for a simple application seems like overkill.
Or is it going to be easier to stick with something like a Automationdirect Click Plus,Modbus TCP and a remote IO module like an IFM AL1342?

1) Lots of PLCs have fieldbusses integrated in, so adding a remote IO LINK master on Ethernet or whatever isn't really all that hard.

2) I know of some that can do it via IO cards, which could be in the PLC rack. From Siemens, the S7-1200 family has the SM 1278 4xIO-Link master.

3) personally, I wouldn't choose my PLC based on this, unless you find a solution for a PLC you're familiar with or you're going to build a lot of systems. If this a one-off, you'll spend more time learning a new PLC platform than you would save by simplifying the system.

Last edited:
I think that going for a PLC that can integrate IO-Link master modules directly without going via a 3rd party device is the better solution. If (more like when) things don't work out as expected, it is difficult to get support when it is a mixture of devices from different suppliers.

So in my opinion, the S7-1200 mk42 mentioned would be the obvious simple and 'basic' solution.

For a basic "PLC" with some IO what about a Siemens LOGO you get a few In/Outs and an analogue. Or as said above the S7 1200 range,

You could use a Phoenix - "PLCNext" setup but this would use field IO.

Or, for a small "home project" What about https://aceautomation.eu/ falls into the cheap and cheerful category, but may not give you the connectivity of siemens or Phoenix

Last edited:
Wago PFC100 with a IO-Link card is an option. But honestly IFM Masters are about the same price as a Card. I just use the PFC100 and IFM AL1920 Masters

Edit: NVM looks like they discontinued the Wago 750-657. Probably because no one wanted to buy it when a IFM Standlone master was the same price.

Last edited:
As per the title, does anybody make a basic PLC that directly supports IO-Link without requiring a fieldbus and remote IO modules?
I know it goes against the basics of what IO-Link was designed to do, but I've got an application that requires 2 * flow sensors, a stack light and some pushbutton control, getting fieldbuses involved for a simple application seems like overkill.
Or is it going to be easier to stick with something like a Automationdirect Click Plus,Modbus TCP and a remote IO module like an IFM AL1342?

I found this from Siemens: https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Product/6ES7278-4BD32-0XB0

You can try and spec a S7-1200 for your application, and this would just be an add-on card.

The Siemens S7-1200 with something like the ifm Al1400, is an obvious way to go if you want to use an io-link with a basic plc.

You can have a Beckhoff CX PLC (technically it is a small IPC) with a 4-channel IO-Link master terminal EL6224:

https://www.beckhoff.com/en-us/products/i-o/ethercat-terminals/el6xxx-communication/el6224.html

There is a great variety of the CX controllers, from the smallest/cheapest to the pretty powerful: https://www.beckhoff.com/en-us/products/ipc/embedded-pcs/

This might be a good solution if you are familiar with or not afraid of learning IEC 61131 programming stuff; primarily the structured text part, since the ladder part is somewhat limited and awkward.