CS1 online editing with CX Programmer 4.x

frustrated

F
Hi everyone,

As the title says, I just started working on project using CS1. One thing
that bothers me a lot is online editing or lack of it.
Sure I can edit online but only one rung at a time (I can live with that) and
only rung that was already created (i can modify existing logic).
I cannot "insert above", "insert below" or begin online edits of blank rungs.
I cannot edit comments of the tags or rungs while online. Is there a setting
that enables it or this software limitation?

I cannot "insert above", "insert below" or begin online edits of blank rungs.
Choose an existing rung and either do an "insert above" or "insert below."
I cannot edit comments of the tags or rungs while online.
Do you mean the comments or the symbol? You cannot change the name of the symbol but you should be able to edit the comment of the symbol. As far as rung comments, after selecting a rung, choose properties and change or add to the rung comment.
Sure I can edit online but only one rung at a time
You can edit multiple rungs by selecting them before choosing online edit. You can even select non-contiquous rungs before choosing online edit.

thank you jay...

what i was trying is to create new line between existing logic
the same way it'sdone offline. the thing is that insert above/below
options are grayed out.
i decided to have another look on CX programmers CD to see if any
manuals are there. they sure didn't install with the product and
included printed introduction guide is only showing the basics.
manuals on cd didn't help either so i followed your suggestion and
tried to start online edit on one of existing rungs (which was fine
and i didn't mean to change it). it worked...
Once the "online edit field" is open, only THEN new rung CAN be inserted
above or below existing one.
i just didn't think of it before... (honestly, who would?).
no other plc i was working with before required initiating of online editing
of perfectly good rung as a workaround to create new one.
but that's ok now. it works and that's all that matters...

i still don't know how to change comment of the tag (not symbol) while online.
no matter what i try, comment editing options and comments themself
stay grayed out. any help on this one would be appreciated.

what i was trying is to create new line between existing logic the same way it'sdone offline. the thing is that insert above/below options are grayed out.
Perhaps a discussion of what happens in an on-line edit would help you understand why it is not done the same way as off-line. On-line edit is a CPU Processor function where CPU mmeory is set aside to hold the active edit while still processing the program. The processor needs a starting address to begin the on-line edit; thus, when you select a rung to edit, you are creating that starting address. To insert a rung above or below the current rung, the CPU references the starting address and makes the offset immediately in the CPU on-line edit memory. Therefore if you are not in the on-line edit mode, there will be no option to insert above or below.
I still don't know how to change comment of the tag (not symbol) while online. No matter what i try, comment editing options and comments themselves stay grayed out. Any help on this one would be appreciated
First of all, "tag" is not an Omron definition. "Symbol" is the closest equivalent in Omron terminology. The symbol cannot be edited on-line because it is referenced in other rungs throughout the PLC. Therefore, if the symbol was allowed to be edited, then not all of the locations would be updated "on-line." Editing of symbols will always require a complete download.

A thought just came to mind, if you are just programming with addresses, and a symbol name has not been created previously for that address, double click the element and highlight the address. Type in a symbol name (no spaces allowed) and the address will now carry this symbol name (in the on-line edit rung and all other occurences of that address.)

BTW, you might want to check out the Omron forum at www.MrPLC.com

Last edited: