PLC Home Training

porky

Hi all,,

I was hoping you guys / gals out there could help me. I am looking at buying PLC training software or a video course, based on PLC 5 or SLC500. The problem is that there are a number of these in the market. I am trying to avoid buying something that will not be any good,---- for a beginner.. Please help... bearing in mind that although I am in Portugal, I am only fluent in English.. hence all the material must be in English...

Thanks
Paul

paul,

first visit the learning pit - a lot of people seem to like what they find there - i haven't tried it personally.

also check out post #4 in this thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?threadid=1326

from this it looks like you might be able to get in the game with hardware and software for about $200 - if this is the way you go, i recommend that you experiment on your own. and ask questions on the forum of course

if you're thinking of paying for one of those "training" cds or videos that are supposed to teach you how to program, i'd suggest you save your money. my experience has been that those things are so basic that you'll quickly outgrow them (in hours - not days)

the only ones i've seen basically just tell you what icon to click on when you want to add a branch, etc. - they don't tell you why to add the branch or why you'd need to seal in a particular rung, etc.

if anybody can add any conflicting opinions, i'm sure they will

good luck