Knowledge/Information

rjp21

I am looking for general information on PLC's. I recently retired form the Navy after 20 years as an Electronics Technician. I see that I need to be familiar with PLC's in today's world. This was not taught to me in any of the Navy schools I attended. I would like to learn as much as possible. Any links/information/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hello rjp21;

And welcome to our little group! Its always a pleasure to meet someone who wants to learn.

First, this site is a good place to start. For general infop opn PLCs, look at the top of this page, and click on the Learn PLCs menu. You should find the contents interesting.
I have also found Phil's book on PLCs very clear and interesting. Look at the Buy The BOOK icon also omn the top of the page.
Alternatively, every PLc manufacturer offers web-based training or pdf documents introducing their material. For example, look at the PLC for beginners training offered by siemens on their Sitrain page:
http://www.sitrain.com/html_76/f_16.html
Have a look at Rockwell's webpage (www.ab.com) and most other PLC retailers for more of the same.
there are also many other sites you can access: patchn.com, eng-tips.com, control.com....
Finally, i can suggest a formidable book you can download from the Internet called "Automating Manufacturiong systems with PLCs", by Hugh Jack. One of the best of its kind, and unbeatable for the price. I have lost the link, but maybe soomeone else from the forum can point it out; alternatively, look it up under Google.

Welcome again, and good reading. Feel free to ask here if you nneed any explanations.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Here's a link to Ron's site http://www.patchn.com/

He has a PLC tutorial on the home page. Two textbooks you might consider, Programmable Logic Controllers, by Frank D. Petruzella (ISBN 0-02-802661-1) and Micro Mentor, Understnding and Applying Micro Programmable Controllers, Allen-Bradley pub. no. 1761-MMB. I have used these texts in PLC courses that I have taught and I think you will find them useful.

RJ

I am a student. Three months ago I could not spell PLC.

Here is how I did it -- worked for me. It is still working.

Read the Learn PLC on this website.
THEN read MELROSE book. (Available on this website). Good investement. (I borrowed my bosses)

THEN started class at a community college (in Seattle - can recommend but looks like long commute). The text used was written by Gary Dunning. Pretty good -- verstion 2 should be better. Written concentrating on Allen Bradley

NEXT continue with next quarter

NEXT wait until King Co Library purchases the book recommended by several here
Programmable Logic Controllers, by Frank D. Petruzella (ISBN 0-02-802661-1)

Dan Bentler

leitmotif said:
Three months ago I could not spell PLC.
<clip>
THEN read MELROSE book.
Okay, Dan. We'll grant you another 3 months to learn how to spell Melore... ;) :D

🍻

-Eric

P.S. Welcome aboard, RJ... :site:

In my opinion, if you can afford it, make an investment in a real PLC and start programming it. There's nothing like live action and real feedback (from the PLC) to advance through the learning curve quickly.

Here's a short shopping list:

The D0-06DR from AutomationDirect.com $230.00
Programming Software. $150.00
DL06 manual. (very good teaching manual) $36.00
Programming cable. (I prefer the universal cable kit) $38.00

Total: > $500.00.

This PLC has a vast instruction set and is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds. What you'll learn from this, you'll be able to apply to others. Being able to directly apply your learning expierance will greatly reduce the learning curve, and provide the added inititave to keep on with it.

Have fun!

ERIC
Originally Posted by leitmotif
Three months ago I could not spell PLC.
<clip>
THEN read MELROSE book.

Okay, Dan. We'll grant you another 3 months to learn how to spell Melore...

REPLY It is going to be SO nice when I stop being human, become perfect and stop making dumb mistakes.

Dan Bentler

You can purchase an Allen-Bradley MicroLogix1000, model 1761-L10BXB that lists for $99.00, and you can download a limited version of RSLogix500 and RSLinx Lite communications software for it for free. The only extra thing you would need is a 24vdc power supply and the programming cable. I think they may even have a starter kit with the cable included.

mgvol said:
You can purchase an Allen-Bradley MicroLogix1000, model 1761-L10BXB that lists for $99.00, and you can download a limited version of RSLogix500 and RSLinx Lite communications software for it for free. The only extra thing you would need is a 24vdc power supply and the programming cable. I think they may even have a starter kit with the cable included.

If your serious about learning ALL about the subject, I would strongly advise starting off with a limited instruction set, and "limited" sofware, and "limited" communications between the PC and PLC. The "limits" will get in the way, and eventually you'll have to make another investment in equipment + software = more $$$$ in the end. When you go to buy full versions of AB software you'll understand why I reccomended Automation Direct. ($$$$$$)

IMHO....Mike.