PID Tuning

scottmurphy

I know there are many different methods of tuning PID loops, and there are many examples on the web, what is the best way, and i guess correct way to tune a PID loop, i know there is a lot of theory behind the issue, any info would be most appreciated

Oh ScottMurphy!

Have a look for "PID tuning" in this forum. There's no end of discussions and threads on this matter.

You say you know "there are many different methods of tuning PID loops". Have you ever wondered why? It's because no one of them is the single best. I know it must sound like a weaselly get-out, but it all depends on the process and circumstances.

I often think that teaching someone PID tuning is like trying to teach someone to ride a bike. You can't do it over the phone, or by e-mail. It's one of the skills which really need demonstration and practice as part of the 'learning experience'.

I'm sorry Scott. Which is the best way of eating? Which is the best way of getting dressed? The answer to PID tuning sure as hell isn't 42.

regards

Ken.