stupid ML1000!!

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
[rant]40 timers? LOL you have got to be kidding me!!!!! [/end rant]

sorry, I had to vent.
Looks like I'll be upgrading to a ML1200.
Working on Implementing a PVA (part verification array) program is already using 36 timers..I wittled it down to 35 and I still dont have enough with all the error proofing and stuff my programs always use a ton of timers. :angr:

There's more than one way to skin a cat

Create a free-running timer that resets itself at some convenient ACC value. For every event that you need to time, at the start of the event, use a one-shot to move the current ACC value of the timer to in integer register. At the end of the event, move the current ACC to another integer. Then subtract the start ACC from the end ACC to get the duration.

Granted, you don't get the EN, TT, or DN bits with this approach, but you might be able to avoid having to jump to a higher priced PLC simply to get a few more timers.

Work around?

Set up a self resetting timer of some value, lets say 1.0 seconds. Then use counters to count the done bits. So if you needed a 5 second timer, use a counter with a preset of 5 etc...

Just a thought.

40 timer? Wow! That's 40 traffic lights, or 40 Y-D starters, or if you cascade them..maybe years of time. Are any of the timers in your program tied togeather somehow. If so you may be able to use compairs from one timer for different uses. If you post your code maybe somebody will have some suggestions.

The old A-B 1774 PLC also had a limited number of timers. A workaround for this was 'multiplexed' timers.

Using only one timer location, the preset and accumulated values would be moved into the timer from storage (GET-PUT in those days), the timer is run according to the required conditions and after the status bits are used, the ACC and PRE values are returned to storage 'til the next scan. Then other values are moved into the same timer from different storage and the process repeats.

Maybe something like this would work for you.

I'll upload my code tomorrow morning.....the free running timer seems like a major PITA...I'm down for anything, as I am now the "lead programmer" and "automation engineer" lol..has a nice ring to it, but with no monetary gains yet, leaves a little to be desired. Teach me!!!
I've learned ladder logic from a 30 year veteran, but am always wanting to learn more. My "teacher" has moved on to bigger and better things, leaving his position to me.

If any of the timer actions are sequential then ONE timer could be used with compare instructions...ie timer preset to 60 secs, grt than equal to 1 and less than equal to 10 first action, grt than equal too 11 less than equal too 20 second action....etc etc

Stephen Luft said:
Too bad the register isn't configurable.

Going to the 1200 is certainly taking a step up in capabilities and price.

Sounds like he would have been a lot better off with an Entertron SmartPak or SK-1600, depending on his I/O requirements.

Sounds like the AB ML1000 is way too small. Is it the $99 special? If it is, do you have the AB software for the ML1200? I don't know what AB software costs, but the Entertron programming software is FREE!

The SK1600 has a five year warranty, and has 8 amp form C relay outputs. It has 512 internal relays and 256 timers, as I recall.

I have never had a program with 40 timers, I'm impressed. I hope you post you logic for the rest of us to view.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Yes I have RSLogix 500 so I can program ML1000/1200/1500 & SLCs.

Attached is my code, you can see where I went over the previous programmers code, as I am very picky about descriptions & capitalization...I'm leary about completely tearing it apart because I know it works.

This is for a small assembly fixture..It installs 2 brass limiters and 3 bolts into a plastic part we make. It is some kind of gas pedal assembly or something..anyway, if you look towards the bottom of the program you will there are "inverted" checks to see that the components arent inverted in the nest and some pretty tricky error proofing. Let me know what you guys think I'm open to any ideas you guys have!

T4:15 and 20 could be one timer, you using Timer timing for one and timer done for the other with same input conditions and equal preset time.
Same applies (I think) to t4:0 and 22, just use compare instructions for the time value used by T4:0.

I dont understand timers being used to switch screens on the HMI, why cant actions do that?

On rung 13 you use T4:2/EN and T4:2/DN (NOT) together, isnt that the same thing as T4:2/TT? Actually you do this in many places. Then in rung 22 you use T4:6/TT.

I will have too look at it more closely. I dont know what your "terms" mean so will have to decipher them to understand what the machine does.

Please do not take offense.
Personal opinion from first glance, this has been overcomplicated and is using far too many timers. A sequencer using timed events may have been easier to understand.

So those that may not have RSLogix500 but may want to see what I am refering too I have converted this to a pdf, hopefully that is ok.