More 1747-UIC Problems

I could be the 1747-UIC Problem Posterboy. Let me ask about my two most recent issues.

If the SLC500 I'm trying to connect to has a CPU fault, the UIC will not see it. Actually it is probably better to say RSWho doesn't see it. If I connect a PIC or hand held terminal (which are able to communicate) and clear the fault... then the UIC will work. I bought the UIC to do away with them.

The second issue is easier to explain. With a SLC500 5/02, the UIC doesn't work period. I am using the same settings as with the fixed or 5/01 versions, does the /02 require something different?

Am I the only guy with these problems? My UIC is probably one of the first ones made ("SER A, REV A, FRN 1.0). Have there been upgrades or revisions? If so, how to I get my unit upgraded?

Thanks again for your time and help;

Frank

Frank, I use the UIC on my SLC500 stuff out of necessity. Our XP machines will not allow the PIC module so unless you have a 5/03 or above with RS232 you are SOL. I have communicated with the 5/02 with the UIC and found no difficulty. I have also been able to capture a "slick" that has a cpu fault light on. That fault is really just in regards to the PLC function of the processor, not external communications. Obviously if you can connect with a PIC or handheld, you can with the UIC. As far as your version, you had better talk to your AB rep or hope Ken Roach will answer you here. The UIC is a little temperamental from what I have heard around various forums and posts. I use the 5/03 all the time and RS232 so UIC probs are not on my horizon most days. Good luck, you may need it!

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured the problem is on my end, but I'm really at a loss as what to do. I work at a bakery with a small maintenance crew. I bought the UIC myself because it seemed a better investment than the PIC. Because the company's PIC works for everyone else, there isn't much interest in helping me.

The dealer I bought the UIC from has run out of patience with me. I was his first UIC sale and the thing was defective. It took a lot of work to finally accept that. When I got the replacement, it worked okay (except for the problems I'm dealing with now).

I bought a 1784 PCMK card off Ebay. It came with the PCM5 cable. I see that the PCM4 cable will work for the 5/01 and 5/02 units. I'll keep an eye out for that cable and hope I will have better luck with the PCMK.

Thanks again for your help;

Frank

I know it would be a pain, But I use a net-aic to a aic to talk to 5/01 and 5/02's. It looks like a nightmare with the power supply and the two couplers but it works like a champ. You use the pic driver and use the rs232 to the net-aic then dh485 to the aic then cable to the slc.

regards,
Tom

Philadelphia Frank said:
Am I the only guy with these problems? My UIC is probably one of the first ones made ("SER A, REV A, FRN 1.0). Have there been upgrades or revisions? If so, how to I get my unit upgraded?

Yes, there is a newer revision B. I have had both and rev A has give me some trouble. I gave the B version to another controls guy who traded me a ATEN USB to serial cable which works better for what I need. And I have a PCMK card with the DH-485 cable so I don't use the UIC very often if at all.

If you find out if the A versions can be updated please post it here.

Have you installed the driver files for the UIC?
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/EA27BF29C8467CAC85256F200059D376?OpenDocument

Another problem could be the node address for the UIC is conflicting with an existing address. When you change the node address you have to stop RSLinx then power cycle the UIC then restart Linx.

This link is to the pinouts for PCMK cables (hopefully you got a B version of it):
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/8488DB9D37CFBD8185256AFB00639165?OpenDocument
Hope this helps.