Wonderware And Controllogix 5000

BENNY

The company that I work for is going to build a new plant beside their existing plant. They are going to use Controllogix 5000 v13 and Intouch 9.0 for HMI. I would like to know if anyone came across any problems with this type of set-up. I have very little experience with Intouch 9.0, which is our company standard, and we are the last plant to be converted. Thanks in advance for your help.

I am currently doing a project with the same setup.

No problems at all so far.

The only trick is to read the tech notes from Wonderware regarding the tagname based addressing and how to access program scope tags.
The structure is pretty easy to figure out if you look at the data monitor in RSLinx and look at how the tagnames are structured.

I use Intouch 9.0, Logix v13, with the DASTCPIP I/O server. HMI nodes require Win XP, 2000, or 2003 to operate due to the utilization of System Management Console.

Dave

The only thing I'd seriously look at is the OPC server. Since your not using RSView I would use something like Kepware OPC server for your comms.
I come across lots of problem using RSLinx as an OPC server with 3rd party clients.
You can also generate the OPC tag list directly from the PLC with Kepware.
other than that you should have a nice system

If you use Wonderware's ABDASTCP data server to read Logix native tags, do not enable their "optimization" feature. I've had customers experience significant problems with that feature using Wonderware with ControlLogix. Wonderware blames it on A-B, A-B blames it on Wonderware, but I know the problem doesn't occur with RSLinx, and the problem stops when the optimization features are turned off.

Your mileage may vary.

I think ABDASTCP is still buggy. Horrible to use during development but once you no longer doing the edits, it works fine. Probably will take a few more major revs. I've used RSLinx as well and it does work better for me.

I've had pretty good luck with RSLinx. Also, instead of the DASABTCP server, I've used the DASABCIP server with the CLogix with pretty good success.

Jeff

the problems Ive had with RSLinx and various scada apps is that is if for any reason the comms drop out, you have to close RSLinx and restart it.
Also had a problem where if you use sysmbols in RSLinx, temp swap files are created every time you connect to the plc, filled up a 20Gb hard disk in 8 weeks.
Ive used Kepware and Matrikon OPC servers without any problems. Also make development easier in my opinion.

You will also get into the situation if you phone A-B with a problem, they blame the Scada vendor for any problems. Happens to me a lot with A-B.