Help needed to attach a Printer to a S7-2xx PLC

mjamil

Hi!

I've heard attaching a printer to the PLC is possible, I'm ordering a FREEPORT cable, but I recall that I would also need an Adapter/convertor for some sort.

If any of you have had any experience, I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

:unsure:

M. Jamil,

freeport is only the protocol. You don't need a freeport cable, I doubt something like that even exists. If your printer has an RS485 interface then you don't even need a converter to connect it to the PPI port, just a cable. If the printer has an RS232 interface, then you can simply use the RS232/PPI interface between the printer and the PPI port. If the printer only has a parallel port, then you need an extra serial-to-parallel converter.

Kind regards,

thanks

Dear jvdcande,

Sorry for the confusion, I mean a PC/PPI cable is being ordered!

I'm looking for a PANEL mount printer right now, my priority should be a SERIAL printer right? for convenience and less hardware (any recommendations?)

Environment will be somewhat dusty, do you prefer THERMAL or DOT MATRIX type?

My customer want me to print the PRODUCTION/LOSSES DATA, every one hour. I cant use a 1-HOUR TIMER, I think I'll need to use the CPU CLOCK to read and compare that 1hour has passed, I've never played with it ever, any suggestions, where I should be looking at?

Thanks once again! both of you!

let me know of any đź“š where I can get some feedback on how to select, plug and print, my CPU is a S7-226.

Some sites I found thru search engine.

http://www.cbma.com/Products.asp?Section=P

http://www.hengstler.com/en/products/shop/printer_industry_receipts_en.pdf

www.danaloadcell.com (under Products / INDUSTRIAL PRINTERS)

http://www.ipcprint.com/products/oem/prd_panel.asp

http://www.able-systems.com/product-selector.html#PanelMount

All I want is to print 2 x Double word data every hour or so,
all this stuff relating to Serial, serial TTL, centronic, etc, understanding all these protocols is goona be pretty time consuming, I appreciate if someone shares his experience (or nightmares) so at least I know what I should be looking for.

and cande, I couldnt see any printer with a RS485 port so far.

Last edited:
mjamil said:
I couldnt see any printer with a RS485 port so far.
I wonder why that didn't surprise me. I have used a printer with an RS422 interface back in the mid-80's, but I haven't seen one recently. I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your other questions. I have no clue what type of printer will do the best, but I figure that if you are using this setup in situations where the temperature can be elevated a bit, then I would recommend a matrixprinter. And yes, you have to look for a printer with a serial port.

Good luck and let us know how everything turned out.

Kind regards,

Dear Jean Pierre,

Something just occured to me,

How about if I use Maple's HMI with Parallel port! That can pretty much solve the problem, and I can use a normal Dot Matrix, Ink Jet or Laser printer.

The only problem that remains now is,
HOW or WHAT kind of print would I be able to achieve from it,
for that I've already emailed to Maple,

If any of you have had the experience?

S7-200 Serial comm

why don't you use a Siemens panel ( alot of the new ones have a usb port for just this sort of thing. You would have to set it up to print messages that were pre configured but depending on what you wanted, this would work.