discrete addressing

busyatwork

I would like to know how to.......discrete address between a control logix L55 and a PV 1000 via RIO. I understand there is a method to directly address the pv without using a block xfer. It's a address format I cannot discern.

I'm not sure where you are in your PLC I/O configuration so I'll start there.

You need to add the DHRIO module into your I/O configuration in the desired slot. Define at least one channel as a RIO channel.
Once the DHRIO module appears you right-click on the module and you can add a new module. Add a generic RIO module. Logix5K will ask you to name the module (this is <modulename> below), specify it's rack number and define how much rack space it will take up. Unless you have a good reason not to I would set it up to use full rack.
Once you have this you will have two structures in your controller tags. The first will be <modulename>:I and the other will be <modulename>:O. You will find an 8-element integer array under ach of these. The elements in the arrays align with the 'group' numbers on the RIO channel. So <modulename>:I.Data[0] matches up with the group 0 input word for whatever rack is defined when you inserted the module. <modulename>:O.Data[4].6 would be bit number 6 in the group 4 output word to the desired rack. The PV1000 uses octal addressing when you use an I or O data type as the tag address. The arrays in the CLX processor always use decimal addressing. So in any given input or output word bit 10 in the PV1000 will match up with bit 8 in the CLX.

I hope this helps as a start. Please list as many specifics as you can about what side you are having trouble with (PV or CLX).

Keith

Be advised that, if you set up your PV as a discrete rack as kamenges has outlined, you are limited to only 8 each input and output words. If you're doing anything halfway complex with the panelview, that is, transferring more than a handful of words, this method restricts what you can accomplish.