Extending Rj12

Unregistered

U
Hello

I am currently running a RJ12 cable from my plc to my ez touch panel. The cable is only 10feet. I need 20 to 30 feet. Will this still work OK. Can I use regular phone cable to do this or must is be special shielded cable?

Thanks

Yes it will work fine. We use cat-3 wire (4 pair) and phone couplers and plugs.

I have to respectfully disagree somewhat. It MAY work fine depending on how much noise is present. I always suggest using proper RS-232 wire (Belden 8102 or equiv) and grounding at one end.

Cat 5 just doesn't cut the mustard for noise reduction for RS-232. RS-232 is just too susceptable to noise.

Does Automation Direct a kit or any thing to do this? If not where is a good place to buy small quantities?

Thanks

icky812 said:
Cat 5 just doesn't cut the mustard for noise reduction for RS-232. RS-232 is just too susceptable to noise.

I've found shielded CAT-5 to by much more reliable than 'typical' serial comms cable (including the Beldon). Now un-shielded CAT-5 is a different story.

As for an extension I've done more than 100' and had no problems, but I've also done 12' and had major problems. It will all come down to noise and the quailty of your connectors, wire, and connections.

marksji said:
I've found shielded CAT-5 to by much more reliable than 'typical' serial comms cable (including the Beldon). Now un-shielded CAT-5 is a different story.

As for an extension I've done more than 100' and had no problems, but I've also done 12' and had major problems. It will all come down to noise and the quailty of your connectors, wire, and connections.

Mark, I have to agree with you totally on this. RS-232 is by far the most problamatic of communication standards with regard to noise.

For small quantities, you might check your local electric shop. Sometimes you will be amazed at the odds and ends that they have laying around gathering dust. Other than that, alarm companies are good resources, a local distributor of PLC products might have some, etc.