Extending Ethernet communications?

dc75

guys,
I have a siemens s7-200 plc with ethernet communications. The problem is: We have to control this plc from 1500 feet away... does anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish this? fiber? repeaters? Im not sure of the best way?

At that distance fibre I think would be your best option or wireless radio depending on how much information you need to pass over the network. You can probably still use multi mode fibre at that distance, if not single mode will get the job done. NTRON or any other industrial ethernet switch manufacturer will have switches to convert the fibre to regular ethernet cables at each end. Hope this helps.

It also depends on what existing infrastructure you already have. If you have twisted pair telephone type cable then you can look at using ethernet extenders like these.

Bryan

We dont have any infrastructure currently in place.... I looked into the fibre cable, and it seems to be VERY expensive...

These guys have a 500 meter pre-made LC->LC cable for $545.65

http://www.fibercablesdirect.com/products/-/116

Media Converters run about $100 each if you're not using fiber in your switch.

Most places charge a lot for the ends, but not much for the cable. You may be able to find cheaper premade cables. I imagine running the cable is the more expensive part.

dc75 said:
We dont have any infrastructure currently in place.... I looked into the fibre cable, and it seems to be VERY expensive...