Extending 14 day Trial License

Marius

I don't think Siemens supply them on USB sticks. As far as I know you can only buy them on floppies. But once you've received the software package with the floppy you can move the licence to any other removable medium. But these are not hardware keys - you do need to install the licence on each PC when you intend to use it there. You can't just plug in the USB stick and expect STEP7 to run. The USB stick is just an alternative, and more convenient, medium than a floppy.

Regards

Ken.

Hardware keys are no good either if you're using a laptop. More and more of these don't have any serial or Centronics ports. My Dell Inspiron 8600 only has two USB ports and 1 FireWire port. So maybe Siemens (and others as well) has to design USB hardware keys?

BTW, I didn't find the posts in this thread harsh. Software piracy IS theft and should be fought at all times.

Kind regards,

I looked at it this way, the original poster knew the software needed to be purchased but took a chance someone would tell him how to make it work without buying. I made a joke of it because I am sure the original poster knew what needed to be done.

I am fairly certain that if "anyone needs" Step 7 that would mean they are getting paid to work with S7 PLCs, in that case they should purchase the tools necessary to do the job.

Sniks said:
Yeh good advice.
Does it feel good to make drspanda look like a fool.

Well, kinda, yeah.

Actually, if he feels like a fool, it is only because he now thinks he asked a foolish question. Otherwise he probably feels quite good about himself and simply thinks we are a bunch of twits and tossers. I can live with that, just as I have learned to feel like a fool on occasion. Feeling like a fool is a survivable experience, and unavoidable as well.

Sniks said:
For a small business to buy them all would be ludicrous

As the owner of a small business I don't sympathize too much. Programming software is a cost of doing business, just like paying the rent and the electric bill. It is darned inconvenient to make payroll sometimes, too, but it would be wrong not to do it, wouldn't it? (Oh, that sounds just like Jesper's logic justifying license fees, doesn't it.)

While I may think some software is overpriced and a rip-off, I accept it as a necessary evil. When I have the opportunity I vote with my pocketbook by not using a particular brand, but I try not to steal from suppliers.

You guys are terrible.

In reading some of the responses, you should be ashamed of yourselves...not professional at all. Many look to this site for credible professional answers and information.

Regardless, of what his intentions were, doesn't mean you have to be demeaning. It is possible that he got sidetracked by another project that prevented him from evaluating the software. When he got back to his evaluation, time had expired. Don't be so quick to judge. He could have looked for a way to run the software without paying for it...very possible, but you don't have to vilify him for it. If that was the case, then he should have been informed that it wasn't appropriate.

I can name a handful of companies that don't charge for their software. So accepting that it is a cost in doing business means that you have chosen to accept their policies in order to do business with them. It is not a rule but a choice. A manufacturer makes the choice of what to charge for and how much to charge. The customer either accepts those conditions or looks for other alternatives that fit with their business.

As a small business owner, I do sympathize with other small businesses for what they have to put up with, if they are either required, or choose to work with companies that are rigid in their thinking.

Keep in mind John 8:1-11 and Matthew 7:1-5

God Bless,

These guys aren't terrible.
The way I see it, they are trying to convince the original poster that cheating the Trial time limit is an unethical business practice.
Although I don't like to quote Bible passages, (I'll do it anyhow)how bout the Eighth commandment. "Thou shall not steal"

Last edited:
Should he go back to the manufacturer and explain his situation and or find out what his options are...absolutely.

I am by no means condoning theft.

What I was expressing is a trigger reaction to prejudge based on limited information.

Stephen Luft said:
It is possible that he got sidetracked by another project that prevented him from evaluating the software. When he got back to his evaluation, time had expired.

This happens to me alot in both industrial & comercial s/w. Even more maddening: I demoed a package a year ago, it was good for 15 days. It was c*ap. Now, 2 versions later, I can't evaluate it again as it's thrown something in the registry somewhere not normal. They won't give me a way to reset it, it detects debuggers running, it's isn't worth the hassle to pull the hardware card from the pc, stick it in another & install all the other s/w to use it.

15 days is just too short. 45 should minimum, nag screens that increase in time displayed are better.

The people that cheat *WILL* find a way, the others will buy it and/or be greatly ticked off by not being able to evaluate it.

ArikBY not sure you can download a demo, at least what I did have I can not find, I did find MicroWin for the S7-200: http://www2.automation.siemens.com/s7-200/html_76/evaluation_microwin.htm
Usually a Siemens sales rep can get you the CD, this will usually work but after the expiration period it has nagscreens. I do not remember what (if any) other limitations there were. I did know how to go online and order it but do not have my old links at this time.

Some of you need to "chill". In the first place if the poster had been "professional" the question would not have been asked, personally I would hope they contact the manufacturer. In the second place if the poster is a "professional" then he would realize most of the comments were opinions and in jest.

Do you see the picture here? Its OK for someone that may be a professional to ask an "IMPROPER" question because he may need the software....but GOD forbid a student ask something you take for granted but they do not know.

BTW ArikBy you can order the trial version 6ES7810-5CC08-0YA7 at A&D Mall, you will have to register. https://mall.automation.siemens.com/WW/guest/index.asp?aktprim=0&lang=en&nodeID=5000906&foldersopen=-1060-1061-1126-1127-1130-1128-1129-1707-1708-1709-1710-1711-&jumpto=1711

Stephen

Don't be so sanctimonious. What's with the biblical references? And what about the criticism of people not being 'professional'? Nobody here's getting paid for their advice and opinions. No-one's making a living from it. You take what's offered and if it doesn't suit, you ignore it. No damage done.

The guy had a manufacturer's product and he wanted to achieve something it was deliberately and intentionally designed not to do i.e. run a 14-day licence for more than 14 days. There's a vending machine at my work that is deliberately and intentionally designed not to allow me to get sweets or candies out without putting money in. So let's say I get side-tracked and forget to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner for a couple of days. By now I'm fainting from hunger. Hey, I know, let's post a message on the VendingMachines.net Forum and see if anyone can tell me how to break in without paying.

Stop trying to make allowances. As far as I'm concerned the intention of the original question was 'can you guys help me break the law?' It's only the guy's anonymity on this Forum that means derision is his only punishment.

Regards

Ken

Stephen Luft said:
You guys are terrible...I can name a handful of companies that don't charge for their software
..I can ...Keep in mind John 8:1-11 and Matthew 7:1-5

God Bless,
We been through the entire "free" software debate before, remember? Nobody like to pay for stuff, but you do have a CHOICE here on which brand you want to service.

Oh, tell John and Matthew they owe me 5 bucks.

Stephen Luft said:
I can name a handful of companies that don't charge for their software. So accepting that it is a cost in doing business means that you have chosen to accept their policies in order to do business with them.
I'm sorry Stephen, but I can't quite buy the idea that companies provide 'free' software.
Who or what pays for the years of design, developement, test and manufacturing costs?
While I whole heartedly agree that some companies run far 'leaner' than others, that money still has to come from somewhere.

Paulus said:
I'm sorry Stephen, but I can't quite buy the idea that companies provide 'free' software.
Who or what pays for the years of design, developement, test and manufacturing costs?
While I whole heartedly agree that some companies run far 'leaner' than others, that money still has to come from somewhere.

There are a few companies who deliver the software for free. They calculate the cost for their software development in the hardware and even then the hardware is cheaper than that from the big companies like AB and Siemens. For smaller companies, like the company where I am working for this is a much better option than pay a lot of money for software.

Best regards,
Henry

"I think these apples are too expensive. Therefore I am entitled to take some without paying".

Hmmm...

If you are a small company that makes small projects with a single S7-300, then STEP7 LITE is enough. STEP7 LITE is extremely cheap if not free.

If you make anything larger than that, then a single project can easily pay for the full version of STEP7.

Methinks the only excuses for not paying for the software are bad excuses.