OT - Extending Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor

Marshy

Hi all,

In my next project the SCADA PC will be 10M from the control station where the Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor will sit. I have a couple of questions i wondered whether anyone would have the answers to:

The monitor shouldn't be a problem at this distance but the max length for the usb keyboard / mouse is 2m. How many powered USB hubs do i need to be able to use the keyboard / mouse at 10m?

Another problem is there aren't many places between the PC and control station to mount the hubs. Can the hubs be positioned at the beginning or end or do they have to be positioned at the mid-point? Can I use an 'active usb cable'(5m extension lead) to increase the length of the position of the first/last usb hub?

Another route may be to scrap the usb hub idea and go with KVM extenders? I've had a quick look at a few models but they seem quite expensive relative to the usb hub idea is that right or doeas anyone know of any cheaper solutions?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hi Marshy,

I had a similar problem with UPS comms from a UPS to a PC mounted some distance away, approx 10m. The maximum length of the UPS cable(Apparently) was 2 meters. I made up a longer lead to 15m and tried it and it has worked perfectly to my knowledge 5 years +

For the price of a few UPS extension leads you could give it a try prior to purchassing a KVM (rather than another USB Hub.)

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't realise you could chain the repeater cables so I'm going down that route.

In the past (DOS times) I did it, I extended video, mouse and keyboard more than 30 meters, I remember they were called KVM extenders I guess they are still in business.
I hope this will help you.

nothing that can't be worked around:

1. USB doesn't like long cables (curse Intel) can be fixed with KVMs, Hubs or extenders.
2. video signal (analog on HD15) showed noise (snow) with some cheap cables (curse cheap cables).
3. BIOS settings trouble (usually still require PS/2 keyboards, curse BIOS programmer; and PS/2 is not hot plugging - curse IBM)
4. sometimes hickup or two to get touchscreen work properly