Free lanching in automation

Unregistered

U
Is there any free lanching site or jobs in automation field.....really how can a new-comer get in touch with the customer. Without any experience and not much money in the pocket how do you ppl see anybody can succeed in this field......

It seems software or IT industry is much ahead in this regards......U can start with a PC, a net connectivity and develop softwares and sell it....isn't it

Without any experience and not much money in the pocket how do you ppl see anybody can succeed in this field......

It seems software or IT industry is much ahead in this regards......U can start with a PC, a net connectivity and develop softwares and sell it....isn't it

Not without some experience you can't... Would you hire someone without enough experience to program your machine? You are responsible for the safety of the operators, as well as for the production line functionnality ($$$$).

Others have stated it much better than I can before on this site: get a first job in maintenance or contracting, so you can get your hands dirty and understand the complexity of a process, and everything that is required to program it (mechanical, electrical, hydraulics...). Then maybe you can start offering consulting services.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Chartier

newcomers to the field usually start out working for someone else. Like Daniel said, it takes experience & a proven history to be well paid.

how do you learn...(career change)

All of you could be true......but then how could a new comer learn the things who is trying to make it a career but is also working in a different field....really getting part time jobs is difficult......

how many of you chose this career as the first choice or got into it only later and did find a way to learn the things....

how do you look for the market and potential customers specially in a country like India..where least information is available in automation field....

Here in USA there is a popular phrase "catch 22".
Many here get caught in it ie you cant get the job without experience BUT you cant get the experience without the job. Unfair? Well I suppose, but that is the way it is.
You won't find job sitting at home. Go talk with people in the business.

You may have to start off as helper doing things you don't want to and are not interested in such as greasing equipment changing drive belts. BUT it gets you in the door and does expose you to the plant the process which is a fertile ground for study and learning.

I am in the same boat by the way. Have good job now as electrician / technician, talking with the engineers and sweeping the floors AND learning the system. It will take some time for them to gain confidence in me.

A lesson I learned well on submarines - you must know the system to understand what the controls are supposed to do.

Dan Bentler

When you change career you start at the very bottom of that new ladder.

How could it be different unless you where born a King?

Find in your area where this bottom is. Then decide.

...as for me, I've spent 16 yrs in the field. 9 as an electrician/controls technician designing & installing machinery, with the last 7 in industrial maintenance. I started as an apprentice ('helper' sounds degraging IMO)and worked up. I have 18 (woohoo!) months until I get my degree. Do yourself a favor, get the degree early! You will have to start out low, but how low depends on your education/experience, with the emphasis on education.

Stasis

Which degree are you doing is it controls,electrical,instrumentation,

Just want to know

Unregistered said:
Is there any free lanching site or jobs in automation field.....really how can a new-comer get in touch with the customer. Without any experience and not much money in the pocket how do you ppl see anybody can succeed in this field......
A lot of this business is 'word of mouth'. If one stays hidden behind an 'Unregisterd' mask, that will not work either.

I have got to get new glasses

I thought it read " FREE LUNCH" so passed it over at first but actually the person is looking for free lunch...or to have a career handed to him/her.

Yeah you can buy C++ for Dummies and you may write a program...sell it, thats another thing. It isnt that easy but nothing really is.

You can buy books, videos etc http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml to learn plcs but that does not mean you are a programmer. In this case you have to have other skills and SELL YOURSELF.

Decide on a career, go to school to develop "knowledge" and get the paper, then apply that knowledge to get into and develop within the chosen career path. You do realize a career may be a lifelong choice, if you wait too late the choices become limited. With a real college degree its easier to make changes in career paths as you progress in life.

Free launching in automation

Hi,
I'm in a position similiar to you except that I'm based in the U.K.
It is just as difficult to get into the PLC field over here as it appears to be in the States though you do seem to have the advantage of local community colleges which actually teach PLC programming and associated skills, whilst in England the courses are very rare on the ground.
I do get the impression that it's an industry that is peripheral though essential
to main line manufacturing and that the field is dominated by small companies and as such cannot/will not invest in propper training of their people.A learn on the job type structure prevails.
I think that a lot of people got into the field in the early 1970's,when PLC's started coming in and replacing relay panels, and so had to learn Ladder Programming at a time when employers were on a learng curve too and thus had to be more flexible in taking people on.Once this period was over the
ladders were pulled up and those wishing to enter the field were as we are now-left floundering around try to find that elusive opening.

Well, depending on your location, skills, and many other factors, you may be right. However, I have students in my PLC classes every term that are already working in the controls business, and learning PLCs because they have to for their work. Or, there are those who want to "break-into" the field and are willing to start at the bottom. Admittedly there are fewer openings for the real novice in controls work than maybe earlier on, but for the person who is willing to do what it takes to get into the field, there is a way. EDUCATION! I can not over emphasize how important that is. All the good intentions and willingness to learn on the job is not enough in today's world to get you in the door. In the 70's it was different, I was doing my learning in that time and it was very different than today. The one constant though, is how hard are you willing to work to get what you want? The folks who are the most willing to do what it takes are the ones who will get the opportunities and the folks who are just looking to "get in" are probably not going to. IMHO

Hard time...

I received my degree two yrs ago and am having a hard time breaking into my field also. I have a BSEE and 10 yrs manufacturing exp. What upsets me the most is how recruiters disqualify me from job descriptions I feel I'm qualified for. How do I convince them I am worthy of an interview? What skills are most important for me to be learning??

Thanks,Troy