Free lanching in automation

I feel the pain of new graduates. I was a new B.S. (ABET) once and graduated into a down job market. Until I got my first *real* job, I did just about everything (don't ask) under the sun. Finally, it was one of my "shotgun" resume that hit a mark.

Looking back, here's some lesson I learned:

* there is no shame in flapping burgers.
* Be flexible. Just because you got a Engineering BS does not mean you have to work as a Engineer. I had option of going to IT and Retail but I was too stuck up at the time to consider them.
* Explore other options, like going back to school. One of my classmate gone to Dental School, another went Medical. they both make a lot more $ now.
* For entry-level jobs, skill are not important at all. Rather, state that your willingness to work hard and play well with others.
* If you have time, learn communication skill rather than tech skill.

Is there any free lanching site or jobs in automation field.....really how can a new-comer get in touch with the customer. Without any experience and not much money in the pocket how do you ppl see anybody can succeed in this field......

It seems software or IT industry is much ahead in this regards......U can start with a PC, a net connectivity and develop softwares and sell it....isn't it

The main thing here is the much more limited market for plc programs, and a much greater liability hazard... There are a lot of people out there who would be willing to shell out $25 for a computer program that will help them do **** items on their computer.... You can always just delete it if it doesn't work, and you only wasted a couple of cases worth of beer money. But they wouldn't necessarily be willing to do the same thing to help run their car. In a manufacturing industry, if the program doesn't work exactly the way you want it to, you are out major $$$$$$$$, and there is a MUCH greater chance of personal injury.

I once spoke to a headhunter who said, "More important than your specific skills are your success stories. Odds are, the guy interviewing you won't have a clue what your talking about, but tell him 'I boosted productivity by 40%' and that, he'll understand."

When you are looking for your first position, tell the recruiters you don't care what the pay is. With a BSEE and years of (non-programming) industrial experience, they may disqualify you from <$50K jobs themselves. I cut my teeth making $9.00 an hour, and starved for a while, but being willing to low-ball the salary got my foot in the door.

Lastly, don't doubt the importance of a transcript to the newbie resume. My first boss (the $9 guy) told me he gave me the shot because, although I had no experience, my 3.8 GPA showed I was able and willing to learn.

TM

harryting said:
* If you have time, learn communication skill rather than tech skill.

This is THE MOST understimated skill in many field and its good that you mention it.

So many technicaly good people just fail to "sell" thenselves or there ideas.

On of the best tech I worked with was in his youger age a used car salesman. He really new how to get his point accross.

it really depends on what aspect of the field you want to get into as to the best route. If you're interested in manufacturing, then apply for a maintenance position. Plant managers usually listen to people who offer a cheaper, more reliable system. From a maintenance position, you have direct contact with these type of people. Show them that you are capable, and they usually give you the opportunity. Prove yourself to them and you have secured the almighty 'success story'.
Once you understand the why of what you're working on/in, then the how is easy.

Last edited:
EDUCATION! I can not over emphasize how important that is

Man you must be living in different United States then I am.
Education in engineering field in today's world of outsourcing and increased engineering productivity is not going to help you much unless you are willing to move to India and work for minimum
wage.

Even education in general is no longer a guarantee of a better
standard of living. The pay differential between college level educated people is very large and growing. We are finding ourselves in a class based sociaty and this is a threat to the foundation of democracy.

Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics www.bsl.com
and see the prospects for IT and engineering in USA.
If you read any articles and listen to Lou Dobbs you will see that the number of engineering / IT jobs will diminish even further.

Look into medical field or bioengineering. That's where you may be able to get a job.

I received my degree two yrs ago and am having a hard time breaking into my field also. I have a BSEE and 10 yrs manufacturing exp

You think that this guy is lying?
I know many people in the same position.

If you have time, learn communication skill rather than tech skill.
Well said. You should learn foreign languages as well!

I still believe there has to be some screwy details being left out for the people that state they have a BSEE, especially if they have experience in the manufacturing field regardless of what it may be.

I see a multitude of entry level engineering positions offered at Americas Job bank with pay starting above 35K. My nephew graduated University of Alabama, ME, (with no special honors) and no experience but got a position starting at 45K a year.

If you have a "solid" 10 years in manufacturing...ie most of those years with one company then look at going back in a supervisor/management position. This may open the door to a later transfer to Engineering or Maintenance (supervision).

If you are unable to get past the recruiters then you may need to learn "interview skills". There are numerous employment counselors that can help you with that and preparing a "good" resume...never think you may not need assistance on some things.

Geez, with my funky attitude and lack of an engineering degree I have turned down positions because I will not relocate.

Check out the Job bank: http://www.ajb.dni.us/

Stasis,

Sorry for butchering up the URL name, it should be www.bls.gov
just like you are saying.

This is off the web page:

Employment of electrical and electronics engineers is expected to grow more slowly than the average for all occupations through 2012. Although rising demand for electrical and electronic goods, including advanced communications equipment, defense-related electronic equipment, and consumer electronics products should increase, foreign competition for electronic products and increasing use of engineering services performed in other countries will act to limit employment growth Job growth is expected to be fastest in services industries—particularly consulting firms that provide electronic engineering expertise.

Jiri,

You can read that however you want, but the outlook is not down. The entire outlook indicated that this field, while having to compete overseas, is still generally okay. Graduation and attrician rates are roughly balanced and median income is good.

But as was pointed out, to break into this field, a multitude of talent is required, and experience as well. Many of us started at the bottom and have worked our way to where we are. The person starting this thread appears to want to have things happen a little faster than that. Probably not gonna happen, so to speak.

It takes some time to be considered good at this field and he is just going to have to accept that at this point. Maybe he needs to change his approach.

Heck, I am running into new technology right now. I am working with an individual that knows more about it than I. My pride says, I can do this, but my head tells me I need to sit back and learn a bit first. Then I will move into that role this person is filling (integrator) currently and perform the development and maintenace tasks myself. In this business, this is just what I have to do sometimes.

David