PLC interface with Hydraulic servo valve

pe_vivek

Hello All,
I want to know, can we interface Hydraulic servo valve and servo motor to PLC directly? Is it possible to control hydraulic servo valve through PLC by PID loop, or there are some special modules available for this application?
if yes, which make PLC has this facility.

There are several methods to do this, alot may depend on the application involved.

This site offers specific controllers to use in hydraulic motion applications. I believe they can work with most major brand plcs.
http://www.deltacompsys.com/products/

Allen Bradley offers a selection of motion control options:
http://www.ab.com/motion/

Siemens, Omron and GE also offer options but I do not have links to that specific information.

Your PLC analog output will be in the 10V range or 20mA range. The hydraulic servo valve is going to require anywhere from 200mA to maybe as much as 1600mA. Additionally, the valve coil driver current usually has a dither frequency applied to it to overcome static friction. So at the very least you will requier an amplifier.

That said, I usually use servo valves (Bosch-Rexroth are my pefered vavles) that have on board amplifiers and I send the command signal from the PLC directly to the on-valve amplifier. I have used intermediate controllers in the past, but I find that those are usually "black boxes" and the manufacturers are not too willing to divulge their inner workings - if you need something special, you pay dearly for custom software, and its more trouble than its worth. I prefer to have all the control in the PLC. It does require more software development time and you do need to have an understanding of what you are doing.

I use AB's Control Logix PLC and the Enhanced PID instruction - but I have added additional logic to it, for example there is extra logic so that if pressure is leading setpoint (we cannot tolerate an over pressure situation on the process) by more than a certain ammount, and the setpoint ramp is not going to overtake it within a certian time (I use a line intercept equation to determine this), then I zero the integral of the PID equation, causing the valve to center. I couldn't do that when I used to use an intermediate controller, I had to wait for the integral to unwind.

Last edited:
thank you Alaric,
i have understood it. but still i have some confusion in my mind for PID. what i want to understand is, how to set the PID parameter of any PID controller. or in other words what is input and output relation during P, I and D operation.
How the PID loop works in PLC ?

Your PLC analog output will be in the 10V range or 20mA range. The hydraulic servo valve is going to require anywhere from 200mA to maybe as much as 1600mA. Additionally, the valve coil driver current usually has a dither frequency applied to it to overcome static friction. So at the very least you will requier an amplifier.

That said, I usually use servo valves (Bosch-Rexroth are my pefered vavles) that have on board amplifiers and I send the command signal from the PLC directly to the on-valve amplifier. I have used intermediate controllers in the past, but I find that those are usually "black boxes" and the manufacturers are not too willing to divulge their inner workings - if you need something special, you pay dearly for custom software, and its more trouble than its worth. I prefer to have all the control in the PLC. It does require more software development time and you do need to have an understanding of what you are doing.

I use AB's Control Logix PLC and the Enhanced PID instruction - but I have added additional logic to it, for example there is extra logic so that if pressure is leading setpoint (we cannot tolerate an over pressure situation on the process) by more than a certain ammount, and the setpoint ramp is not going to overtake it within a certian time (I use a line intercept equation to determine this), then I zero the integral of the PID equation, causing the valve to center. I couldn't do that when I used to use an intermediate controller, I had to wait for the integral to unwind.
i m using bosch rexorth valve and siemens plc with its inbuilt PID Compaq block.
basically i want to control the pressure. it is oscillating lot.
can you please let me know how have you done the programming?

Please do not post new questions that are distantly related to very old threads. This thread was last participated in more than 15 years ago.

Go to the main PLCTalk page, and use the "start a new thread" button.

Please provide as much detail as you can about the hardware and software and application.