Interface AB PLC with Unreal Engine

smudgy67

Supporting Member
Hey there,

I would like to communicate to Unreal Engine (PC), to/from an AB PLC.

Could someone, please, guide me through the process.

Thank you.

Smudgy

Hey JesperMP,

Thank you for getting back to me and link provided. Cool, I'll look into it.

Lol, peaking curiosity. I'm doing an Unreal competition for a vehicle HMI, and I though bugger it, let's see if I can also communicate to an industrial controller; sort of kill 2 birds with one stone.

Do you know of a cheap AB PLC to try this out on, please? I'm guessing the MicroLogix.

Found this on GitHub: https://github.com/terkaa/Unreal_OPCUA

Last edited:
For OPC UA, your program would probably be an OPC UA Client and you would need an OPC UA Server for the PLC.

The Ingear toolkit I linked to is for ControlLogix/CompactLogix. Not for MicroLogix.
I think that for MicroLogix you would need this: https://ingeardrivers.com/products/net-products/net-ablink/

Not sure if MicroLogix would be a good choice. Also Micro800 is another story altogether.
I would tend to suggest a small CompactLogix. Unfortunately anything with an "AB" sticker on is quite expensive.

There are also other possibilities, if you could narrow down your PLC choice.

The OPC UA method is not a bad choice if you think this is something you will be using in the future and on bigger projects.

OPC UA is getting more and more widespread, and is not limited to only AB PLCs.

Of course Engineerj22, no worries, will keep you updated.

Although, no where yet finished, this is the entry for the vehicle HMI competition,
https://youtu.be/YMqdYwkBPg4, though only Take01; lots done since then.

In relation to the car, its my Pa's, a 1931 Austin Ulster, which to bring it to the 21st century, have created an android app via Unreal, which communicates via 2xbluetoothSPP to 2xMODBUS units, one connected to a 8xHigh Intensity LEDs via a 12Vdc Barth PLC (Modes:12xKnight Rider style and 12xcustomisablle morse code message patterns), the second to an MP3 player, connected to small 8W marine speakers.

The AB PLC/Unreal HMI project will run nicely in tandem, much to do, though very satisfying when works properly.

Again, a big thank you to you guys for all your help here =]