Iam looking to buy a plc

Foty

I what I need is a plc that I could use at home. Something I could practice on. I was looking at a logo because I presently programing a S300 at work. Is the logo a good choice?

Personally I have never heard of a Logo PLC. Since you are in Canada I would recomend the offer that Allen Bradley currenly has. If you buy the 10 point Micrologix1000 they give you the RSLogix software FREE. This is the same software platform as all the RSLogix offerings however this speciaL offer will only communicate with the 10 point Micrologix. It's a good cheap practice unit and since most of North America uses AB it's the best bang for the buck...in my opinion.

KMG is right, go with the 10 point Allen Bradley Micrologix. The Logo (Siemens version of an AB Pico) is actually called a programmable relay, and is technically not a plc.

Well I just wanted something ready to play with. I'm looking to gain more experience with siemens plc. But Iam new with programming therefore I just want to get into it as much as possible.

The logo is a programmable relay with very limited functions.
Anything you can do with a logo you can do with relays.
I would have to agree with KMG, get something with more advanced
functions. It just so happens that I have a PLC that was
previously owned by a little old lady who only used it on Sundays
to turn on the church lights...

Logo

With logo you can program logic functions, use timers and counters, analogue math (only newest version), but it's not really a PLC.

If u need something to test and learn on, and u want Siemens, then buy a PLC S7-224. It's not too expensieve, and u can learn a lot with it.

In logo you program backwards, first you place an output, then the function, then the input (if u program without the software). U wont really learn a ****.

I have only experience with Siemens, and can't tell you if Ab is better. I only can give u some advice if you take the Siemens Road.

Best Regards,

Combo

since Foty right now is programming for s7-300, I suggest u to use s7-200 at home. Logo is not good for u to study Siemens PLC programming.
and if you want to buy a s7-300, you also need a pc-adapter(pc/MPI) download cable(it is not cheap), but for s7-200, you only need a pc/ppi cable(it is much cheaper than the pc/mpi). and you can also know some instruction of Siemens PLC.
I thing once you know siemens, it is not difficult for u to know AB .

You might not get this in time but, you might want to check:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1789792445
This is an eBay auction for an S7-212. The current price is $30 US. eBay might be a good way for you to get some stuff to play with at very little cost.
On eBay if you type in 'plc' you will get Grandma's 5-piece place setting about 600 times. If you lead with a manufacturer, 'Siemens plc' for example, you will get what you are looking for.

Keith

I would recomend the S7 -200 starter pack, which includes plc with simulator and a small motor to drive along with the S7 200 software, programming lead and tutorials it comes on special offer in the uk for about £199 all in, I would think you could get it in Canada. If you need more info let me know and I'll look out the part number monday